How to Apply
Below is the list of the documents you need to prepare or arrange for submission:
1. Completed CEU Application Form 2016/2017 (coming soon)
- All application materials must be submitted with the online application form (with the exception of letters of recommendation, which may be mailed if recommenders are unable to complete them online). Materials sent by postal mail, email or fax will not be considered. If you have any questions or issues regarding the application form, please refer to the CEU Online Application Form FAQ or the support pages on the Embark online application system.
- You may apply to two departments simultaneously and to any number of degree programs within each department. You must submit a separate application for each program you wish to be considered for, irrespective of whether they are offered by the same department or not. If you are applying to two departments, please send an email to email@example.com to indicate which of the two is your preferred department after you have submitted your applications to both departments. Your alternate department will only be able to offer you admission if your preferred one rejects you or puts you on the waiting list. (Note: do not use this email address for inquiries. If you have any questions, send them to firstname.lastname@example.org .)
- CEU charges an application fee of 40 USD. For more information, please see point 7 further down this page.
- Please send your application only when it is 100% final and complete. Applications cannot be edited or altered after submission.
- You can track the progress and learn the outcome of your application online. Please click here to find out more.
- CEU does not return application documents, or provide copies thereof under any circumstances.
- Non-degree candidates should submit the application form and documents required for non-degree and visiting students.
2. Letters of Recommendation
You must have two (or, for certain doctoral programs, three) confidential letters of recommendation submitted assessing your ability to conduct graduate-level work, and potential for a successful academic or professional career. The letters of recommendation must be written by faculty members or job supervisors – i.e. people most familiar with your academic and/or professional abilities and character – in English, and sent by the recommenders via Embark's online recommendation form (OREC) for each application submitted, by the same deadline as the application itself.
- Recommenders are provided access to the OREC by an automated email sent to them when they are registered in an online application. For assistance with the OREC, please click here if you are an applicant or here if you are a recommender.
- Recommenders with poor or no Internet connection or inadequate computer literacy may send their letters of recommendation by regular (postal) mail. In such cases, the recommender should provide one copy for each department the applicant is applying to. Place each copy in a separate envelope, sign it across the seal, and mail it to CEU's Admissions Office at Nador u. 9, 1051 Budapest, Hungary. Please note that regardless of the way a recommendation is sent, it must reach CEU by the relevant application deadline.
- CEU does not accept letters of recommendation whose contents are known by the candidates concerned.
- CEU does not consider emailed or faxed recommendations.
3. Academic Records
Your online application must include a scanned image of
- an official English version/translation of your full Bachelor's (and, for doctoral programs, Master's) transcript (transcript = an official report supplied by a school on the record of an individual student, listing subjects studied and grades received), including an explanation of the grading system, and
- an official English version/translation of your Bachelor's (and, for doctoral programs, Master's) diploma.
- An official English translation bears the stamp and signature of a sworn translator or an authorized official of the institution that has issued the original. It should contain the stamp and signature on each page or over a folded and fastened corner of the document, and include a statement of authenticity in English.
- Applicants in the process of completing a degree program must submit an interim transcript and, in place of the diploma, a certificate of enrollment confirming their student status and, if possible, stating their expected date of graduation. Applicants having completed their degree program and having yet to receive their diploma must submit a certificate of graduation.
- Those applicants that have taken courses at more than one institution as part of their degree program must have an official transcript submitted from each school.
- Those applicants applying for a one-year Master's program at CEU that have earned a three-year undergraduate degree and have completed or are, at the time of application, completing a Master's program at another university must submit, in addition to their Bachelor's transcript and diploma, their Master's transcript (and diploma, if already available) with their application.
4. A full curriculum vitae or resume, including a list of publications, if any
5. Department- and program-specific requirements
These may include a statement of purpose, a research proposal, writing samples, additional test scores, etc. Each department has different requirements, which are listed in the relevant section on the departmental websites. (Read some useful tips about writing the Statement of Purpose here).
6. Proof of English proficiency
This is defined as an official score report from one of the English-language examinations listed under Language Requirements. You must submit a copy of your score report with the application, or request exemption from the English testing requirement if applicable. Candidates applying by February 1, 2015 are eligible to take the CEU-administered institutional TOEFL. Admitted students must provide documentary evidence of their scores prior to enrollment.
7. Application Fee
CEU charges an application fee of 40 USD for each applicant allowing them to be considered for up to 2 departments and for any number of programs within each department in one admission cycle. The application fee is non-refundable: all applicants are subject to submit this fee regardless of nationality or financial status. The fee must be paid when the first application is submitted in an admission cycle.
- The fee should be paid by bank card preferably via the online application system or, alternatively, through CEU’s payment gateway (both of which are secure.) Those with a US bank account may also pay by electronic check. An application will not be processed until payment has been received and processed.
- Those using the CEU payment gateway should pay 30 EUR or 9,500 HUF in the absence of a USD payment option.
- No other ways of payment than those listed above are available.
- Track payment status online via your application.
- If a fee payment is not possible in any of the ways described above, please contact the Admissions Office.
- The CEU Business School does not currently charge an application fee.
Phone: (+36-1) 327 3009 / 327 3272 / 327 3210 / 327 3068
Fax: (+36-1) 327 3211