University-wide Courses (UWC) represent a new initiative at CEU that aims to bring together faculty and students from across academic programs to explore a topic of common interest. Some of the core features of such courses are the following:
- UWC are interdepartmental by design. Academic staff members from at least two different units have been involved in developing the syllabus of the course.
- UWC are diverse. Some courses deal with contemporary academic topics, some foster the research skills of our students, and others offer practical skills to support the students’ future career.
- UWC are co-taught. Courses are taught by several academic staff members, and in some cases external guest are also invited as lecturers.
- UWC are open to all students. All CEU students (including non-degree students) have the possibility to register for the courses they consider interesting or useful.
In Fall 2017, three University-wide Courses are offered at CEU:
- UWC 5000 - Sound Studies: Listening & Creating Between the Material, Medium and Metaphor
- UWC 5001 - Text Analysis Across Disciplines - Data Collection and Curation
- UWC 5002 - Just Data
In Winter 2018, the following courses are planned to be offered:
- Journalism and Social Change in Historical Perspective
- Social Justice Frameworks in Action
- Text Analysis Across Disciplines - Text Mining and Text Analysis