2017-18 CEU/HESP Research Excellence Fellowship
Deadline for applications: 15 February 2017
Central European University (CEU) invites applications for the Research Excellence Fellowship program for the academic year 2017-18. The fellowship program is supported by the Higher Education Support Program (HESP) of the Open Society Foundations (OSF) and administered by the CEU Yehuda Elkana Center for Higher Education. Fellowships are offered to academics employed in higher education institutions and/or academic research institutions who wish to spend one or two terms at CEU conducting original research that will lead to a groundbreaking publication in an international peer-reviewed journal. The fellows can be hosted by any CEU department, school or research center.
Fellows are supported for a period of three to six months (one or two consecutive terms at CEU). Fellowship award covers travel costs to/from Budapest, accommodations in the CEU residence and a monthly stipend of 1,800 USD.
- Eligible countries: any country of the Global South;
- Eligible applicants should be employed, full-time or part-time, in the teaching or academic research institution in their home country at the time of application;
- Eligible applicants should hold a PhD or equivalent degree and have a substantial research record in an area that falls under one or more CEU academic units (departments, schools and research centers);
- Please note: those who are or who intend to be involved in projects, research, teaching, or other activities sponsored or co-sponsored by Open Society Foundations during the period of the Research Fellowship are not eligible to participate in the program;
- Applications not meeting eligibility requirements will not be considered.
- Fellows are required to be in residence at CEU for the entire duration of their fellowship;
- Fellows will provide a mid-term narrative report, and a final narrative report;
- Fellows will provide a draft article outline within three month of concluding the fellowship;
- Fellows will submit an article published or accepted for publication in an international peer-reviewed journal within one year after completing the fellowship. Fellows will clearly acknowledge CEU and OSF contribution in this publication.
You can find the application form here.
Please send your completed application form, a detailed research proposal, a CV and a photocopy of your Ph. D. certificate or equivalent credentials in one PDF file to the following e-mail address: Research_Fellowship@ceu.edu (subject of email “VRF 2017 + last name”). The application form and all supporting documents must be submitted by 15 February 2017.
A complete application package should include:
- Fully completed application form (available here);
- Curriculum Vitae with a list of most important and recent publications;
- 1500 - 2000 word research proposal;
- Photocopy of a Ph. D. certificate or equivalent degree credentials;
- Two letters of reference: scanned copies should be sent by the referees directly to Research_Fellowship@ceu.edu (subject of email “VRF 2017 + last name of the applicant”) by the application deadline. A letter of reference should be printed on an official letterhead of the home institution of the referee, and include referee’s signature and complete contact information.
Late and/or incomplete applications will not be considered.
We accept applications for placements:
Within CEU Schools and Departments:
- School of Public Policy
- CEU Business School
- Department of Cognitive Science
- Department of Economics
- Department of Environmental Science and Policy
- Department of Gender Studies
- Department of History
- Department of International Relations
- Department of Legal Studies
- Department of Mathematics and Its Applications
- Department of Medieval Studies
- Nationalism Studies Program
- Department of Philosophy
- Department of Political Science
- Department of Sociology and Social Anthropology
Within CEU Centers:
- Center for Climate Change and Sustainable Energy Policy
- Center for Conflict, Negotiation and Recovery
- Center for Eastern Mediterranean Studies
- Center for Ethics and Law in Biomedicine
- Center for EU Enlargement Studies
- Center for European Union Research
- Center for Media, Data and Society
- Center for Network Science
- Center for Policy Studies
- Center for Religious Studies
- Cognitive Development Center
- Vera and Donald Blinken Open Society Archives
- Pasts Inc., Center for Historical Studies
- Social Mind Center
- Yehuda Elkana Center for Higher Education
The applicants are encouraged to familiarize themselves with the research profiles and current programs of the CEU Departments and Centers and suggest a linkage between their subject of interest and the academic priorities of the CEU unit they wish to be hosted by.
Requests for additional information should be sent to the program coordinator, Ms. Maja Skalar, to Research_Fellowship@ceu.edu
Central European University
Nádor utca 9
1051 Budapest, Hungary
Tel: +36 1 327 3000 ext. 2281