Central European University (CEU) and the Roma Education Fund (REF) will award up to ten scholarships annually to Roma students to enroll in Master’s Degree programs in CEU.
Funding for the CEU-REF Scholarships is provided by the Roma Education Fund as part of the Roma in European Societies initiative.
Scholarship recipients will receive the following support for the duration of their study:
- full tuition award
- living stipend
All scholarships are awarded on a merit basis. Roma students of the following citizenship are eligible to apply: Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Hungary, Kosovo, Macedonia, Moldova, Montenegro, Romania, Russia, Serbia, Slovakia, Turkey, and Ukraine.
Scholarship Application Procedures and Deadline
In addition to submitting the regular CEU admissions application package, you are asked to submit:
- A recommendation letter from a legally registered Roma organization or Roma-focused institution from the country of origin.The recommendation letter should include a short description of the organization, state the connection with the MA candidate, including since when and in what capacity the referee knows him/her, and to elaborate upon the candidate's involvement in Roma related activities.
The recommendation letter should be written in English and be submitted by the referee by January 30, 2020 at email@example.com. The referee should indicate in the subject line CEU-REF Scholarship_Last Name_First Name of the applicant.
- One essay addressing the below four points. Your essay has to be uploaded in the online application platform as a pdf file (Qualifications/Other Supporting Documents). The recommended length for the provided answers is between 200 to 350 words per point.
- Why should you be awarded the CEU-REF scholarship? Please describe your academic achievements, civic engagement and leadership involvement, or any other personal achievements.
- What are your personal and professional goals and how will studying at CEU help you achieve those goals? How will your personal and professional goals contribute to the collective advancement of the Roma community?
- Do you consider yourself a role model for the younger generation of Roma and what defines you as Roma and make you feel belonging to the Roma community?
- What kind of activities do you plan to get involved in during the upcoming academic year, in support of the Roma community, time permitting?