Below is the list of the documents you need to prepare or arrange for submission:
- Completed CEU Application Form 2017/18
- Letters of Recommendation
- Academic Records
- Curriculum Vitae or Resume
- Program-Specific Requirements
- Proof of English Proficiency
- Application Fee
1. Completed CEU Application Form 2017/2018
- All application materials must be submitted with the online application form(s) for 2017/18. Materials sent by postal mail, email or fax will not be considered.
- CEU charges an application fee of EUR 30. For more information, please see item 7 below.
- Please submit your application only when it is 100% final and complete. Applications cannot be edited after submission.
- Candidates may submit applications to up to 5 programs (master's and/or doctoral) offered by any academic unit at CEU. Some programs have more stringent internal limits, please always refer to the program websites for detailed guidelines.
- CEU is introducing a new online application system. The applicant portal is not in place at this point, therefore you cannot currently track the progress and outcome of your application online. We will provide updates once the portal becomes active.
- With technical problems, bugs or errors related to the online application forms please contact the CEU IT Help Desk.
- CEU does not return application documents, or provide copies thereof.
- Non-degree candidates should complete and submit the Non-degree and Visiting Student application form.
Candidates must provide two (or, for some doctoral programs, three) confidential letters of recommendation assessing their ability to conduct graduate-level work, and potential for a successful academic or professional career. The letters of recommendation must be written in English by faculty members or job supervisors (i.e. people most familiar with the candidate's academic and/or professional abilities and character).
Candidates need to register the referees in the relevant section of the online application form. Referees will receive an automated message containing a link to the referee section AFTER the candidate successfully clicks on the "Submit" button of the application form (irrespective of the application fee payment), and will have 7 days to complete the recommendation form/upload the recommendation (the link to the referee section expires after 7 days following receipt of the automated email; the automated email is triggered by clicking "Submit" in the Application Form).
Your online application must include a scanned image of
- an official English version OR translation of your full bachelor's (and, for doctoral programs, master's) transcript (transcript = an official report supplied by a school on the record of an individual student, listing subjects studied and grades received), including an explanation of the grading system, and
- an official English version OR translation of your bachelor's (and, for doctoral programs, master's) diploma.
- An official English translation bears the stamp and signature of a sworn translator or an authorized official of the institution that has issued the original. It should contain the stamp and signature on each page or over a folded and fastened corner of the document, and include a statement of authenticity in English.
- Candidates in the process of completing a degree program must upload an interim transcript and, in place of the diploma, a certificate of enrollment confirming their student status and, if possible, stating their expected date of graduation.
- Candidates who can download a full (though unofficial) transcript from the relevant university website may upload it to the online application in lieu of requesting a hard copy version.
- Candidates having completed their degree program and having yet to receive their diploma must upload a certificate of graduation.
- Candidates who have taken courses at more than one institution as part of their degree program need to submit an official transcript from each school, unless the transfer credits are listed in detail (course names, credits, grades) on their final transcript.
- Candidates applying for a one-year Master's program at CEU that have earned a three-year undergraduate degree and have completed or are, at the time of application, completing a Master's program at another university must submit their Master's transcript (and diploma, if already available) in addition to their Bachelor's transcript and diploma.
- The official "Diploma Supplement" issued by European institutions is not valid without an official copy (and translation if applicable) of the diploma.
Candidates need to upload an updated CV or resume, including a publication list if available. CEU accepts all commonly used CV/resume formats.
Most programs at CEU require one or several additional supporting documents for the application, such as a statement of purpose, research proposal or writing samples, standard test scores (e.g. GRE), etc. Each academic program has different requirements, which are listed in the relevant section on their respective websites.
You may want to also check the Useful Tips section for guidelines.
Candidates must demonstrate proficiency in English by submitting standardized English language test scores, e.g., the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), or other tests listed below.
Candidates whose first language is English are normally exempt from this requirement. Candidates meeting the following requirements may also be exempted:
- current or former CEU students applying to CEU's doctoral programs;
- candidates who have earned a bachelor's or a master's degree taught exclusively in English.
To request exemption from the English language proficiency requirement, applicants need to answer the questions on English Language Qualifications accordingly in the Qualifications section of the online application form. Decisions regarding exemptions are at the discretion of the admissions committee for the given program and will be communicated to candidates after the first stage of the selection process.
Candidates submitting a test score of one of the English language exams listed below should upload a scan of their score report to the relevant section of their online application. The score report can also be sent to CEU directly by the issuing institution (CEU institutional code with ETS: 0069). In that case the candidate is requested to upload proof of having taken the test in lieu of the actual test score.
Language test types & minimum test scores required by Master's programs:
|Test Type||Minimum Overall/Total Score Required*|
|TOEFL (Internet-based; taken on/after January 31, 2015)||88|
|TOEFL (Paper-based; taken on/after January 31, 2015)||570|
|IELTS Academic; taken on/after January 31, 2015)||6.5|
|Pearson Test of English (Academic) (taken on/after taken on/after January 31, 2012)||59|
|Cambridge Proficiency Examination (taken on/after January 31, 2012)||C|
|Cambridge Advanced English Test (taken on/after January 31, 2012)||B|
*The Mundus Masters Program in Public Policy (Mundus MAPP) has different language requirements which are listed on the program website.
Language test types & minimum test scores required by doctoral programs:
|Test Type||Minimum Overall/Total Score Required|
|TOEFL (Internet-based; taken on/after January 31, 2015)||100|
|TOEFL (Paper-based; taken on/after January 31, 2015)||600|
|IELTS Academic; taken on/after January 31, 2015)||7|
|Pearson Test of English (Academic) (taken on/after taken on/after January 31, 2012)||76|
|Cambridge Proficiency Examination (taken on/after January 31, 2012)||C|
|Cambridge Advanced English Test (taken on/after January 31, 2012)||A|
CEU charges a one-time application fee of EUR 30 for each candidate irrespective of the number of programs applied to in the given admissions cycle. The application fee is non-refundable: all applicants are subject to submit this fee regardless of nationality or financial status. The fee must be paid when the first application is submitted in the given admission cycle.
- The fee should be paid by bank card via the CEU payment gateway (secure payment).
- No other ways of payment are available.