Study Visa (Visa D) and Residency Permit Application (Embassy/Consulate)

Required Documents

Residence Permit Application (MA35, Vienna)

Study Visa and Residency Permit Application (Embassy/Consulate)

Will I automatically be granted a study visa (Visa D) or residence permit after admission to CEU?
No. You will have to apply for a study visa or residence permit separately. CEU will provide you with a Confirmation of Acceptance for application purposes.

Can CEU apply for a study visa (Visa D) or residence permit on my behalf?

No. CEU is not allowed to apply for a study visa or residence permit on behalf of students, nor are we legally entitled to make inquiries with the relevant authorities on the student's behalf.

Can CEU help cover my visa/residence permit-related expenses?
No. All costs towards your visa and residence permit must be borne by yourself. 

How do I know whether I need only a study visa (Visa D) or also a residence permit?
If the study program lasts longer than six months, a student residence permit is required.
CEU's one-year master's programs last 10 months, while two-year master's programs last 20 months (plus the summer break between year 1 and 2).

Do I need a (Austrian national) Visa D to travel to Austria to collect my residence permit, or can I also arrive with a (Schengen) Visa C?
If you come from a non-EU country that does not have visa free entry to Austria, you must apply for a Visa D to enter Austria to pick up your residence permit.

I am a third country national who can enter Austria without a visa. Can I travel to Vienna and apply for the residency permit there?
You can decide to either file your application at your local Austrian embassy or enter Austria visa-free and file your application in Austria. 
- If you are planning to apply at your local Austrian embassy, you should get an appointment and hand in your application before the middle of July. If you are unable to secure an appointment before the middle of July it is safer for you to travel to Austria and hand in your application in Austria. The reason for this is the time it takes to transfer your application from the embassy to the Austrian immigration authority. Once you enter Austria, please inform the MA35 and the Student Center that you are now in Austria waiting for your application to be approved.  
- If you are planning to enter visa-free and file your application in Austria, please note that you will need to receive your residence permit within the 90 days visa free period. An application does not allow you to overstay your visa-free time. To avoid any issues with your application carefully prepare all your documents and get an appointment at the MA35 before entering Austria. Please get in touch with the Student Center if you have entered visa-free and your application has not been approved after 60 days. 

How long is a student residence permit valid?
A residence permit can be issued for a time period from (over) six months to one year. You may indicate the desired time period to the authority if your program is shorter than one year.

How long will it take to get a student visa or residence permit?
The immigration authority (MA35) should process your application within 90 days provided that all necessary documents have been submitted. Please note, however, that the immigration authority maintains the right to request additional documents and information from the applicants. Therefore, delays may occur, which should be taken into consideration. CEU has no influence on the visa/residence permit application process.

Do I have to apply for the visa/residence permit in person?

Do I have to renew my residence permit every year, and when do I do this?
If your program is longer than one year, you will have to renew your residence permit every year. A renewal application must be submitted before your current residence permit expires, three months before the expiry date at the earliest. 

I have applied for a residence permit. Why do I still need a Visa D?
Unless you are from a country with visa-free entry to Austria, you must apply for a Visa D at the Austrian embassy once your residence permit has been granted. This visa will allow you to enter Austria and collect the Residence Permit in person from the Vienna Immigration Office (MA35). (Please note: you may need to visit the embassy in person to pick up your visa.)

I am a refugee from another EU member state. Do I need a residence permit?
Yes. You can apply with your refugee residence status or certificate, even if you do not have all the required documentation listed below. If you do not have one or more of the required documents listed, you will need to make a substantiated claim to explain why you are missing those documents. Please make sure to get a police report (Certificate of Good Conduct) from your country of residence and as many of the listed required documents as it is possible for you to obtain.

Required Documents

What does legalization of documents mean, and how do I know which process applies to me?
Before you have your foreign documents translated, they must be legalized. Legalization verifies the authenticity of a signature, seal or stamp and thus confirms the issuer of the document. Depending on your home country, there are three possibilities to legalize the documents: exemption from legalization, legalization by Apostille, and full diplomatic legalization. Further information is available in our Document Legalization Guidelines 

Who should translate my foreign documents?
Documents in languages other than German and English are only accepted by the Austrian authorities if they have been translated by a sworn and court-certified interpreter (translator).
We advise you to enquire at the relevant Austrian representation in the country where your documents were issued whether and in what form your documents must be translated. You can also enquire at your local Austrian representation for recommended translators.

When should my foreign documents be translated?
Please submit your documents for translation only AFTER you have had them legalized.


Residence Permit Application (MA35, Vienna)

How much money do I need to prove to have as sufficient funds for the MA35?
Persons under 24 years of age must prove a monthly income of at least EUR 613.16. Persons over 24 years of age must prove a monthly income of at least  EUR 1,110.26.
Attention: each of these amounts includes  EUR 327.91 towards accommodation costs. If your accommodation is more expensive than that, you need to add the difference to the amount indicated above. The health insurance paid for by CEU cannot be deducted.
See also our Proof of Sufficient Funds Guidelines.

Does my stipend count as financial support?
Yes. Your stipend will be considered as income and therefore can be deducted from the amount above. See also our Proof of Sufficient Funds Guidelines.

Do I need to have my own bank account?
Yes. The bank account must be in your own name. A joint account with a family member will not be accepted.

Will my parents' account be acceptable with a notarized statement?
No. It must be your own account, in your own name.

Do I need to have the whole sum required by MA35 in my bank account for the entire duration of the residence permit?
If you have no stipend, you need to have the entire sum as savings in your account.
If you receive a stipend, it will be deducted from the sum that you need to show in your account. See also our Proof of Sufficient Funds Guidelines

How long do I need to keep the money in my bank account?
During the whole residence permit application process, until you receive the residence permit card.

Why does the MA35 request the same documents again, even if I presented those already at the Embassy/Consulate in my home country?
As the application process may take several months, the MA35 is entitled to request additional documents or the same documents again during the whole process to make sure the applicant's status hasn't changed. It is common to hand in old documents with a new issuing date right before picking up the residence permit card.

How long is a student residence permit valid?
From six months to one year. You need to indicate the desired time period when you apply.

Can I email the MA35 in English?
Yes. You can send emails to and reply to emails from the MA35 in English.

Can I call the MA35 and speak English?
Some of the case officers speak English, some don't. Don't feel bad if the person who picks up tells you that they don't understand English. It is not your fault/problem.
You can send any questions you want to ask the MA35 to the CEU Student Center.

What shall I do if I don't understand the email from the MA35 (in German)?
Send it to the CEU Student Center. We will translate it for you.

Further FAQs are available here.