From November 15-17, 2023 the CIVICA Doctoral Conference will be held at Central European University in Vienna. The conference offers PhD researchers from the ten CIVICA member universities the opportunity to prepare themselves for the academic job market. It will involve feedback sessions and hands-on academic practice training workshops for PhD researchers from any discipline who seek an academic career.
The conference will include sessions and workshops on the following topics, among others:
- How to write a powerful cover letter
- How to develop an effective research proposal for postdoc applications
- How to give a persuasive presentation on your research in a job talk
- How to do job interviews
All sessions and workshops will be run by experts and faculty members from the CIVICA partner institutions. The participants will have the chance to meet each other informally and to develop intra-CIVICA friendships in the beautiful setting of Vienna.
Inquiries can be directed to Dr. Robin Markwica (robin.markwica[at]eui.eu).
Costs for accommodation and travel to and from Vienna (within Europe) will be covered by the participants’ universities of origin according to CIVICA rules. There are no conference fees.
PhD researchers from any discipline at the CIVICA member universities who are in their penultimate or final year of the PhD at the time of the conference (November 2023) are eligible to apply.
Researchers who have completed a PhD at one of the CIVICA member universities within the past 12 months at the time of the conference (November 2023) are eligible, too.
The conference will take place at Central European University’s Vienna campus, located in Favoriten, the Austrian capital’s multicultural 10th district.
How to apply
Please submit the following two documents in a single PDF file:
- Your CV – including the name of your PhD degree programme (for example, “PhD in Political Science”) and your area of research (for example, “migration policy”)
- A single-spaced 1-to-2-page presentation/description of your research for a fictional application to a postdoctoral position
Please send these documents to doctoral-conference[at]eui.eu.
- Friday 12 May 2023, 11:59pm (Central European Summer Time)
Visit here for more information.