Budapest, June 26, 2018 – Having fulfilled its obligations under Hungarian law and faced with the Hungarian government’s continuing refusal to bring the lex CEU matter to a conclusion, the university’s Board of Trustees, at their June 23 meeting authorized CEU to open recruitment for Budapest for the academic year 2019-2020, according to the University’s regular recruitment schedule. They also strongly re-affirmed their commitment to the university in all circumstances.
Central European University hosted its first ever Three Minute Thesis (3MT) competition on June 18.
Hosted by the Dean of Students' Office, the competition featured presentations by 10 CEU doctoral students covering a wide range of research topics, from the cognitive processes of babies through bank bailouts to ethical farming. Each student had 180 seconds to give a compelling presentation on their thesis and its significance.
The participating doctoral students were:
The assumption that an open international economy leads to or supports open society is in trouble, said renowned political economist Dani Rodrik during his conversation with CEU President and Rector Michael Ignatieff on May 17.
To view the report in full screen, click here
CEU Alumna Reyhan Durmaz was named a 2018 Charlotte W. Newcombe Doctoral Dissertation Fellow by the Woodrow Wilson National Fellowship Foundation. The Newcombe Fellowship fosters the original and significant study of ethical or religious values in all fields of the humanities and social sciences. Durmaz's dissertation is titled “Stories, Saints, and Sanctity between Christianity and Islam.”
Professor Janos Kertesz has been appointed head of the new Department of Network and Data Science. Kertesz already directs the PhD in Network Science program at CEU.
CEU's Nador 13 and Nador 15 buildings, that is Phase 1 of the campus redevelopment project, have received the RIBA International Awards for Excellence 2018. The award has been given to 20 exceptional new buildings in 16 countries all over the world that exemplify design excellence, architectural ambition and deliver meaningful social impact.
The rise of globalism and the expansion of education have created new rifts in societies that make it difficult for low-income, low-education voters to unite under one platform, said Thomas Piketty, professor at EHESS and the Paris School of Economics, who spoke as part of the Rethinking Open Society series at CEU on April 18.
CEU Planet is a compilation of news, features and interviews from across the University.
Filter by year
Filter by Unit
- The Office of the President and Rector 138 Apply The Office of the President and Rector filter
- CEU Press 86 Apply CEU Press filter
- Department of Public Policy 83 Apply Department of Public Policy filter
- Community Engagement Office 75 Apply Community Engagement Office filter
- Department of Medieval Studies 69 Apply Department of Medieval Studies filter
- Department of History 57 Apply Department of History filter
- Alumni Relations 55 Apply Alumni Relations filter
- Academic Cooperation and Research Support Office 53 Apply Academic Cooperation and Research Support Office filter
- The Office of the Pro-Rectors 50 Apply The Office of the Pro-Rectors filter
- Yehuda Elkana Center for Teaching, Learning, and Higher Education Research 45 Apply Yehuda Elkana Center for Teaching, Learning, and Higher Education Research filter
- 39 43 Apply 39 filter
- Center for Media, Data and Society (Democracy Institute) 43 Apply Center for Media, Data and Society (Democracy Institute) filter
- Department of Legal Studies 42 Apply Department of Legal Studies filter
- Department of Political Science 41 Apply Department of Political Science filter
- Vera and Donald Blinken Open Society Archives 39 Apply Vera and Donald Blinken Open Society Archives filter
- Department of Environmental Sciences and Policy 38 Apply Department of Environmental Sciences and Policy filter
- Campus Redevelopment Office 37 Apply Campus Redevelopment Office filter
- Center for Religious Studies 36 Apply Center for Religious Studies filter
- Department of Economics and Business 36 Apply Department of Economics and Business filter
- Center for Policy Studies (Democracy Institute) 33 Apply Center for Policy Studies (Democracy Institute) filter
- Department of International Relations 31 Apply Department of International Relations filter
- Department of Gender Studies 29 Apply Department of Gender Studies filter
- Student Recruitment 29 Apply Student Recruitment filter
- Romani Studies Program 27 Apply Romani Studies Program filter
- Communications, Marketing & Outreach Office 26 Apply Communications, Marketing & Outreach Office filter
- CEU Library 25 Apply CEU Library filter
- 59 24 Apply 59 filter
- Department of Sociology and Social Anthropology 22 Apply Department of Sociology and Social Anthropology filter
- Student Services Office 21 Apply Student Services Office filter
- 37 20 Apply 37 filter
- Institute for Advanced Study 19 Apply Institute for Advanced Study filter
- Nationalism Studies Program 19 Apply Nationalism Studies Program filter
- Summer University 18 Apply Summer University filter
- Department of Philosophy 16 Apply Department of Philosophy filter
- Department of Mathematics and Its Applications 15 Apply Department of Mathematics and Its Applications filter
- Department of Network and Data Science 15 Apply Department of Network and Data Science filter
- The Human RightS Initiative 14 Apply The Human RightS Initiative filter
- 320 11 Apply 320 filter
- Campus Services Group 10 Apply Campus Services Group filter
- Department of Cognitive Science 10 Apply Department of Cognitive Science filter
- Doctoral School of Political Science, Public Policy, and International Relations 10 Apply Doctoral School of Political Science, Public Policy, and International Relations filter
- Shattuck Center on Conflict, Negotiation and Recovery (Department of Public Policy) 9 Apply Shattuck Center on Conflict, Negotiation and Recovery (Department of Public Policy) filter
- The Office for Hungarian Affairs 9 Apply The Office for Hungarian Affairs filter
- Center for Eastern Mediterranean Studies (Departments of History and Medieval Studies) 7 Apply Center for Eastern Mediterranean Studies (Departments of History and Medieval Studies) filter
- Cognitive Development Center (Department of Cognitive Science) 6 Apply Cognitive Development Center (Department of Cognitive Science) filter
- The Office of the Academic Secretary 6 Apply The Office of the Academic Secretary filter
- Center for Ethics and Law in Biomedicine 5 Apply Center for Ethics and Law in Biomedicine filter
- Development Office 5 Apply Development Office filter
- Information Technology Department 5 Apply Information Technology Department filter
- Social Mind Center (Department of Cognitive Science) 5 Apply Social Mind Center (Department of Cognitive Science) filter