Twenty-eight member groups of IFEX, the global network of organizations promoting and defending freedom of expression, have signed a
On April 10, 2017, President of the Republic of Hungary Janos Ader signed into law amendments to Hungary’s national higher education legislation which restrict academic freedom for CEU and other international universities operating in Hungary.
CEU strongly disagrees with this decision and, accordingly, continues to pursue all available legal remedies. Further, CEU calls on the Hungarian government to display the “mutual good will” called for by President Ader to find a solution to enable CEU to stay in Budapest.
We remain deeply grateful to the thousands of supporters whose vigorous defense of free inquiry, free exchange of knowledge, and free institutions of learning continues to encourage us. CEU will maintain the continuity of its teaching and research, its degree programs, and its service to the community, without interruption.
We will continue to keep you updated on future outreach and encourage you to:
- Write to EU and US leaders
- Add your name in solidarity and stay updated
- Sign the Change.org petition
- Share your solidarity on social media using #istandwithCEU
- Use the #istandwithCEU profile picture found on CEU's Facebook page
- Send suggestions or notifications of support to: Support_for_CEU@ceu.edu
- Frequently Asked Questions About CEU and the Legislation
- Timeline of events
- The Current Threat to CEU: A Brief Summary
- Summary of legal analysis
- Summary of legislative changes and their impact
- Prospective student Q & A
- Letter and Memo to President Ader
- Response to Ministerial Letter
- Press Releases
- Press Conferences and video messages
- CEU – A Hungarian Institution
A SAMPLING OF SUPPORT STATEMENTS FROM AROUND THE WORLD
A Magyar Idegtudományi Társaság (MITT) Elnöksége nyílt levében állt ki a CEU mellett.
AFEW International is writing to express solidarity with the Central European University (CEU).
"CEU is a beacon of academic quality and openness and a central hub in our network of partner institutions ...
The faculty of Bard College has issued a statement in support of Central European University.
"Közelről figyeljük a Közép-európai Egyetemmel történteket. Nem hivatalos módon már kifejeztük a kormánynak az aggodalmainkat az egyetemet érintő döntésekkel kapcsolatban.
On May 4, Isabelle Poupart, Canadian Ambassador to Hungary, Slovenia and Bosnia and Herzegovina, issued the following statement regarding recent amendments to Hungary’s 2011 law on national higher
We join the vigorous protest from observers around the world: academic, intellectual and political leaders in Europe, the US and other regions who most vehemently object to this assault on the CEU.
The member universities of the CENTRAL network wish to declare their solidarity with the prestigious Central European University in Budapest.