Bashir Ahmad witnessed the suffering of his people caught in a war between terrorists, the U.S. and Pakistan. His efforts to represent youth put him in danger.
Recently featured on pop cultural news website Buzzfeed, CEU Medieval Radio is the world's only English-language online radio station dedicated to the music and the study of the Middle Ages and to enlightening listeners about the medieval and early modern periods (up to 1700).
Tautvydas Juskauskas (MPA ’15) took home second place at the Falling Walls Lab in Ljubljana, Slovenia for his work on estimating crowd sizes using drones. Falling Walls Labs are held in numerous cities around the world and provide young academics and professionals with opportunities to present their innovative ideas, research, and initiatives.
On March 21, School of Public Policy (SPP) students and staff spent the day volunteering with the Roma community in Bag, Hungary. Working with local NGO BAGazs, SPP students and staff helped members of the Roma settlement in Bag build a fence around a plot of land that will be used for agriculture. This fence will help keep animals away from crops.
Roman Shlyakhtin (MA ’07), doctoral student in the Department of Medieval Studies at CEU, was awarded a Junior Fellowship in Byzantine Studies at the Dumbarton Oaks Research Library & Collection for academic year 2015/16.
Shlyakhtin is going to finish his dissertation project, “From Huns into Persians: The Image of the Seljuk Turks of Asia Minor among the Byzantine Literati of the Eleventh and Twelfth Centuries,” during his year in Washington, D.C.
School of Public Policy (SPP) students have a track record of fostering deep engagement with local communities. Four students have shown strong interest and commitment in working with Roma communities: Marek Balaz (MPA ’16), Katalin Nemeth (MPA ’16), Ciprian-Valentin Nodis (MPA ’15), and Erjon Qirollari (MPA ’15). Each of these students took the time to share his or her story with SPP.
Hungarian news portal index.hu interviewed Anna Velikok, student in the Department of Political Science at CEU, about her initiative to place a photo of the recently assassinated Russian democracy activist Boris Nemtsov in front of the House of Terror in Budapest. Velikok also shared her views on Russian and Hungarian politics. For more, see http://index.hu/kulfold/2015/03/09/anna_vollikok_terror_haza_nemtsov_putin/ (in Eng.)
Fourteen CEU students and faculty had the opportunity to join representatives of five other Hungarian universities and attend an informal meeting with German Chancellor Angela Merkel during her visit to Budapest on Feb. 5. The event was hosted by Andrassy University Budapest.
Mihail Mitrea, doctoral student in the Department of Medieval Studies, was the seventh doctoral student to give intensive classes at one of CEU’s partner institutions. Mitrea spent two weeks each in Yerevan and Tbilisi in December 2014 teaching a tutorial course on "Greek Paleography and Byzantine Manuscript Studies," hosted by Professor Erna Shirinian (Matenadaran, Yerevan) and Professor Rismag Gordeziani (Tbilisi State University).
Stefan Roch, Phd student in the Department of Public Policy, spent four weeks in Beirut, Lebanon this May. In his free time, he wandered around the city searching interesting situations, people and places that he found “were meaningful and would capture a certain aspect of Beirut and living and working in it.” His photos are on display in CEU’s Exhibition Hall in Nador 9.
Filter by year
Filter by Unit
- Department of Public Policy 16 Apply Department of Public Policy filter
- Department of Medieval Studies 10 Apply Department of Medieval Studies filter
- Community Engagement Office 8 Apply Community Engagement Office filter
- 37 5 Apply 37 filter
- Department of Sociology and Social Anthropology 5 Apply Department of Sociology and Social Anthropology filter
- Department of Economics and Business 4 Apply Department of Economics and Business filter
- Department of Environmental Sciences and Policy 4 Apply Department of Environmental Sciences and Policy filter
- Department of Legal Studies 4 Apply Department of Legal Studies filter
- Student Services Office 4 Apply Student Services Office filter
- CEU Library 3 Apply CEU Library filter
- Department of Philosophy 3 Apply Department of Philosophy filter
- Department of Political Science 3 Apply Department of Political Science filter
- Nationalism Studies Program 3 Apply Nationalism Studies Program filter
- Romani Studies Program 3 Apply Romani Studies Program filter
- Student Recruitment 3 Apply Student Recruitment filter
- Department of History 2 Apply Department of History filter
- Department of International Relations 2 Apply Department of International Relations filter
- 59 1 Apply 59 filter
- 320 1 Apply 320 filter
- Academic Cooperation and Research Support Office 1 Apply Academic Cooperation and Research Support Office filter
- Department of Gender Studies 1 Apply Department of Gender Studies filter
- Department of Network and Data Science 1 Apply Department of Network and Data Science filter
- Doctoral School of History 1 Apply Doctoral School of History filter
- Doctoral School of Political Science, Public Policy, and International Relations 1 Apply Doctoral School of Political Science, Public Policy, and International Relations filter
- The Office for Hungarian Affairs 1 Apply The Office for Hungarian Affairs filter
- The Shattuck Center for Human Rights (Department of Public Policy) 1 Apply The Shattuck Center for Human Rights (Department of Public Policy) filter