Information for Applicants and Admitted Graduate Students

Last updated on June 29, 2020

1. Launch of academic year 2020-2021

Q: When will teaching begin in fall 2020?
A: From September 28, CEU will begin on-site instruction for all our students both in Vienna and in Budapest. For those who are unable to attend in person, whether due to temporary border closures, air travel or visa restrictions, we will be offering your classes online until you are able to join us on-site. We will provide all our students, regardless of their mode of study, with a high-quality learning experience.

Q: When am I expected to arrive on campus?
A: We advise you to arrive in Vienna or Budapest by September 7 so that you have time to settle in before teaching starts. We will keep you informed about any relevant governmental regulations – Austrian or Hungarian – related to travel, epidemiological and sanitary requirements prior to your arrival. The first couple of weeks will allow you to get to know your colleagues and professors and attend orientation sessions. If required by the authorities, some students may have to quarantine for the first two weeks – and if so, we'll make it possible for you to attend all advance sessions online.

2. Enrollment process

Q: I have applied but have not received the results yet. When will I hear back from you?
A: We remain committed to making admissions decisions as per the timeline published on our website and will do everything we can to minimize disruption. If you applied by our deadline of January 30, 2020, your admissions decision(s) will be published on the Applicant Portal, starting from April 1, 2020.

Q: How will I receive my official admissions decision?
A: Your official admissions decision and acceptance offer will be published on the Applicant Portal as planned. Students who need to apply for a visa or a residence permit will receive a separate ‘confirmation of acceptance for visa purposes’ from the Admissions Office.

Q: I have been admitted to the university, but I am worried that travel bans could prevent me from enrolling for fall 2020. Are classes going to start at CEU in fall 2020? What contingency plans does CEU have in place?
A: We are committed to ensuring that all our incoming students can enroll for academic year 2020-2021. We are currently exploring creative solutions for launching the new academic year. We will update you regularly as more information becomes available.  

Q: I have been accepted to CEU and I read on your website that accepted candidates must submit their academic documents to the CEU Admissions Office by August 15. Can I get an extension so I can collect all necessary documents from my school?
A: If possible, we would prefer to receive your academic records by mid-August so that we have time to process them. If this is not possible due to the pandemic, you will be allowed to bring them with you and submit them on arrival. Either way, please make sure your academic records are as complete and in line with our requirements as possible.

Q: I have been accepted to CEU. However, my current studies are delayed by the pandemic, and I am worried I will not graduate as planned.
A: If you have not received your diploma by the time you enroll at CEU, you will need to submit official evidence from your institution certifying that you have completed your studies. If possible, the document should also include the expected date of receiving your diploma.

Q: I have been accepted to CEU. Can I request a deferral?
A: If you have accepted a study offer but are unable to start your studies as a direct result of the pandemic (e.g. visa delay, consulate closure or travel bans), you may submit a request for deferral to the next academic year to the Admissions Office. Your request will be reviewed by the selection committee of the relevant academic program and the Admissions Office.

Q: If deferred, will my financial aid/tuition award be carried over?
A: Yes, the financial aid and tuition award you have been offered will be carried over. In case you have received a subsequent offer for the same program, only the financial aid and tuition award of the original offered can be deferred.

Q: Can I extend my registration fee payment deadline?
A: In light of the Covid-19 pandemic, we are allowing extension requests. Please write to to request an extension should you require one.

Q: If I am unable to start my studies, will my registration fee and/or tuition fee be refunded?
A: If you are unable to start your studies as a direct result of the pandemic (visa delay, consulate closure, travel bans, etc.), your registration fee, enrollment fee and, if applicable, tuition fee will be fully refunded.

Q: When will I receive my insurance information?
A: CEU is currently finalizing student insurance coverage and application procedures with our new provider in Vienna. The Admissions Office will provide detailed information regarding the proof of insurance coverage to students who require a study visa prior to their visa interview date.

Q: I am from a country deeply affected by the pandemic. Will you reject my enrollment based on my country of residence?
A: We are carefully following updates and recommendations provided by the Austrian authorities. You should also monitor the situation in your home country and check with the local Austrian embassy or consulate. We are committed to ensuring that all incoming students can enroll for academic year 2020-2021, and we will keep you updated regularly by email, on our website and our social media channels.

3. Visa-related issues

Q: I have concerns about how student visa applications will be affected. What should I do?
A: We understand that visa application timelines may be affected, and we are liaising with and following updates and recommendations from the Austrian authorities. In addition, we suggest that you check with the local Austrian embassy or consulate. Currently all Austrian representations abroad have closed due to the entry ban into Austria. For now, please make sure to follow social-distancing advice and do not take any risks for the sake of visa applications or other administrative requirements. There is ample time for you to collect and legalize all necessary documentation and submit your visa or residence permit application.

Q: I tried calling my local consulate to make an appointment for my residence permit/visa but the embassy is closed. What should I do?
A: We know there may be delays due to the worldwide shutdown of Austrian representation offices. Please check the website of your local Austrian representation for updates.

Students who are required to hold a visa to enter Austria will need to wait for their local embassies and consulates to open before being able to apply for a residence permit. Keep an eye on the opening times or changes to procedures on the website of your local Austrian representation office.
Students who have a 90-day visa free entry into Austria may enter the country and apply for their residence permit in person. If you plan on traveling to Austria and applying in person, please make sure to have ALL required documents and supplemental documents for a complete application to avoid delays. The Austrian municipal department for immigration and citizenship will officially open on May 15, however, the Austrian authorities have advised CEU students to start applying in June.

Q: Can I make an appointment at the embassy before I have collected all required documents?
A: No, please make sure to have all required documents in place before you make an appointment. If any document is missing at your official appointment, it could result in significant delays to your visa and residence application.

Q: I have a Schengen Visa. Can I travel to Vienna and apply for an Austrian visa there?
A: You do not need an Austrian visa if you already have a Schengen Visa. You may travel to Austria with your Schengen Visa and apply for a residence permit there. A Schengen Visa allows for a 90-day visa free stay in the Schengen area.

Q: I have a residence permit from an EU country. Do I still need to apply for an Austrian visa?
A: You may travel to Austria with your Schengen Visa and apply for a residence permit there. You will need a residence permit in Austria if you plan on staying longer than 90 days.

Q: Who can I turn to at CEU with visa-related inquiries?
A: Contact – we are online every day during normal office hours.

4. Financial aid 

Q: I am a master’s student with a stipend award but unfortunately, I cannot make it to CEU by September 7. Will I be receiving my stipend while I am studying from my home country? 
A: No, stipends for master's students will only be paid on a pro-rated basis from the day they arrive on campus. 

Q: I am a doctoral student with a stipend award but unfortunately, I cannot make it to CEU by September 7. Will I be receiving my stipend while I am studying from my home country? 
A: No, stipends for doctoral students are issued for up to 36 months starting on the day they arrive on campus. 

Q: expect that I will have to study online for some time due to visa delays and/or travel bans. Will my tuition fee be reduced? 
A: No, you will need to cover the tuition fee as specified in your Study Agreement/ Acceptance Offer. 

Q: I have received in-dorm housing but unfortunately, I cannot make it to CEU by September 7. Will I receive a housing allowance while I am studying from my home country? 
A: No. In-dorm housing at CEU cannot be converted into housing allowance. 

5. Staying in touch 

Q: I was planning to visit the CEU campus. Is this still possible?
A: Unfortunately, no. All university premises are currently closed to students and the public until further notice. All of our classes have moved online, and our staff work remotely. 

Q: Who can I contact with further questions?
A: Please feel free to contact