Information for Applicants and Admitted Undergraduate Students

Last updated on June 8, 2020

1. Launch of academic year 2020-2021

Q: When will teaching begin in fall 2020?
A: From September 28, CEU will begin on-site instruction for all our students both in Vienna and in Budapest. For those who are unable to attend in person, whether due to temporary border closures, air travel or visa restrictions, we will be offering your classes online until you are able to join us on-site. We will provide all our students, regardless of their mode of study, with a high-quality learning experience.

Q: When am I expected to arrive on campus?
A: We advise you to arrive in Vienna or Budapest by September 7 so that you have time to settle in before teaching starts. We will keep you informed about any relevant governmental regulations – Austrian or Hungarian – related to travel, epidemiological and sanitary requirements prior to your arrival. The first couple of weeks will allow you to get to know your colleagues and professors and attend orientation sessions. If required by the authorities, some students may have to quarantine for the first two weeks – and if so, we'll make it possible for you to attend all advance sessions online.

2. Enrollment process

Q: How will I receive my official admissions decision?
A: Your official admissions decision and acceptance offer will be published on the Applicant Portal as planned. Students who need to apply for a visa or a residence permit will receive a separate ‘confirmation of acceptance for visa purposes’ from the Admissions Office.

Q: The final exams have been postponed in my country, and I might not receive a high school graduation certificate in time. What can I do?
A: Some countries are deciding to postpone final examinations until the summer. You will need to present your high school diploma as soon as it becomes available in order to be enrolled as a student at CEU.

Q: I am concerned that my high school diploma might not be issued by my planned enrollment date at CEU. Can I submit it later?
A: We are aware that in some countries, an official high school diploma might only be available with a delay. We understand that the situation is very challenging, and we are open to discuss specific issues with admitted applicants as the situation unfolds. You may enroll based on your graduation certificate and may submit the certified copy of your high school diploma later, as soon as it becomes available.

Q: Can I extend my registration fee payment deadline?
A: In light of the Covid-19 pandemic, we are allowing extension requests. Please write to to request an extension should you require one.

Q: If I am unable to start my studies, will my registration fee and/or tuition fee be refunded?
A: If have accepted a study offer but are unable to start your studies as a direct result of the pandemic (visa delay, consulate closure, travel bans, etc.), your registration fee, enrollment fee and, if applicable, tuition fee will be fully refunded.

Q: When will I receive my insurance information?
A: CEU is currently finalizing student insurance coverage and application procedures with our new provider in Vienna. The Admissions Office will provide detailed information regarding the proof of insurance coverage to students who require a study visa prior to their visa interview date.

Q: Are classes going to start at CEU in fall 2020? What contingency plans does CEU have in place?
A: We are committed to ensuring that all our incoming students can enroll for academic year 2020-2021. We are currently exploring creative solutions for launching the new academic year. We will update you regularly as more information becomes available.  

Q: I have been accepted to CEU. Can I request a deferral?
A: Yes, if you are unable to start your studies as a direct result of the pandemic (e.g. visa delay, consulate closure or travel bans), you may submit a request for deferral to the next academic year to the Admissions Office. Your request will be reviewed by the selection committee of the relevant academic program and the Admissions Office.

Q: If deferred, will my financial aid/tuition award be carried over?
A: Yes, the financial aid and Inaugural Tuition Award you have been offered will be carried over. 

3. Accommodation

Q: Should I start booking my student accommodation or shall I wait?
A: We advise you not to book a room yet as there is an Austrian entry ban currently in place. We are in negotiation with our housing provider (OeAD) regarding their cancellation policies in light of the Covid-19 situation. We will keep all our incoming students updated by email.

Q: Who should I contact with questions or concerns regarding accommodation?
A: Please email

4. Visa-related issues

Q: I have concerns about how student visa applications will be affected. What should I do?
A: We understand that visa application timelines may be affected, and we are liaising with and following updates and recommendations from the Austrian authorities. In addition, we suggest that you check with the local Austrian embassy or consulate. Currently all Austrian representations abroad have closed due to the entry ban into Austria. For now, please make sure to follow social-distancing advice and do not take any risks for the sake of visa applications or other administrative requirements. There is ample time for you to collect and legalize all necessary documentation and submit your visa or residence permit application.

Q: I tried calling my local consulate to make an appointment for my residence permit/visa but the embassy is closed. What should I do?
A: We know there may be delays due to the worldwide shutdown of Austrian representation offices. Please check the website of your local Austrian representation for updates.

Students who are required to hold a visa to enter Austria will need to wait for their local embassies and consulates to open before being able to apply for a residence permit. Keep an eye on the opening times or changes to procedures on the website of your local Austrian representation office.
Students who have a 90-day visa free entry into Austria may enter the country and apply for their residence permit in person. If you plan on traveling to Austria and applying in person, please make sure to have ALL required documents and supplemental documents for a complete application to avoid delays. The Austrian municipal department for immigration and citizenship will officially open on May 15, however, the Austrian authorities have advised CEU students to start applying in June.

Q: Can I make an appointment at the embassy before I have collected all required documents?
A: No, please make sure to have all required documents in place before you make an appointment. If any document is missing at your official appointment, it could result in significant delays to your visa and residence application.

Q: I have a Schengen Visa. Can I travel to Vienna and apply for an Austrian visa there?
A: You do not need an Austrian visa if you already have a Schengen Visa. You may travel to Austria with your Schengen Visa and apply for a residence permit there. A Schengen Visa allows for a 90-day visa free stay in the Schengen area.

Q: I have a residence permit from an EU country. Do I still need to apply for an Austrian visa?
A: You may travel to Austria with your Schengen Visa and apply for a residence permit there. You will need a residence permit in Austria if you plan on staying longer than 90 days.

Q: I have been accepted to CEU. However, I am worried that I will not make it to Austria in time due to visa/residence permit delays.
A: Please notify the Admissions Office at if you think your arrival will be delayed. We are currently working on creative solutions to enable a September start to the academic year for students who are not able to arrive on time due to visa and/or official travel restrictions. 

Q: Who can I contact with further questions?
A: Please contact

5. Staying in touch

Q: I was planning to visit the CEU campus. Is this still possible?
A: Unfortunately, no. All university premises are currently closed to students and the public until further notice. All of our classes have moved online, and our staff work remotely. We can offer you online alternatives to face-to-face meetings and physical tours, such as webinars and one-on-one sessions.

Q: Can I make an appointment to meet in person on campus to discuss my program of interest?
A: Our campuses are currently closed, but you can instead schedule a virtual meeting with one of our staff members here. If you have trouble using that link, please send an email to and we will get you sorted.

Q: Who can I contact with further questions?
A: Contact with further questions.