Click here to go directly to Budapest related information below 


First-year undergraduate students

A shared living space is important for the cultivation of future academic and personal relationships. Housing for first-year undergraduate students is mandatory. They are accommodated by our partner provider, ZOOM Entertainment, which assists students in adapting to college and city life and provides space for community-development.  

ZOOM Entertainment offers studio apartments with bathrooms and kitchens shared by up to six students. The apartments are situated in Vienna’s 5th district, a lovely and frequented area of the city only a couple of minutes away from the heart of Vienna

For securing your booking, a deposit payment is necessary which, in Austria, preceeds a contractual agreement. A deposit is a sum of money which covers possible damages during your stay. If any damage occurs, its costs will be deducted from your deposit. This policy might be different from your home country's customs but it is a regularity in Austria. Upon ending your contract, the deposit will be returned to you. 

Please find out more here: 

All first-year undergraduates are housed in shared rooms; however if students have a legitimate reason (e.g., special medical condition) for requesting a single room we will assist them in their needs. For this, we need a specialist’s confirmation. If you have further questions and requests please contact our resident life assistant, Dora Wohner. 

If you are a prospective BA student, you will receive a questionnaire prior to your arrival, in order to help us create the most comfortable atmosphere for you. 

Despite mandatory housing for BAs, there are exceptions to the rule: if you are an undergraduate with a registered address in Austria/Vienna older than four months and/or have special medical needs attested to by a doctor's note, we will support you in your individual plans. Please write us at with your requests prior to starting your studies.   

If you are a third-country national, please scroll down for more information and help regarding the process of address registration.  


Further recommendtions for advanced undergraduate and graduate students:

In addition to ZOOM Entertainment, CEU works in partnership with OeAD and The Student Hotel (TSH) who provide flexible services to best accommodate the CEU student community.   

OeAD student housing has been providing an international environment for students from all around the world in their OeAD-Guesthouses in Vienna for more than 25 years. 

They are regarded as pioneers in green living by accommodating students in passive houses, relying on solar energy. The all-inclusive accommodation fee covers all costs for utilities (electricity, water, heating internet) and provides a weekly cleaning service and a house technician service. You will also receive a personal kitchen box including dishes and cutlery and bedding. 

The OeAD-Guesthouses Simmeringer HauptstrasseSechshauser Strasse and Gasgasse are close to CEU and are all very centrally located. 

Want to take a closer look? Take a virtual tour to the different residences and their room categories online.  

More on OeAD FAQs and terms and conditions here, and about their cancellation insurance here. 

The Student Hotel/The Social Hub is a colorful and vibrant student home with an all-inclusive package and a special discount for CEU students. The offer includes a modern, fully furnished private room (approx. 17 m²) with a private bathroom and a shared kitchen. You will be provided with lightning-fast Wi-Fi, a flat-screen TV, your own bicycle, bed linen, regular room cleaning, and a 24/7 reception with security service. Also included in the package is a games and recreation area, study room, on-site gym, laundry room (and its services), restaurant/bar with daily activities, and a fun international student community. 

More on TSH terms and conditions here.  

  • For a real campus experience in premium apartments with international connections, perfect for study-abroad programs. MILESTONE provides a first-class service only minutes away from the heart of Vienna with a special offer to CEU students. The Milestone Passport is subject to availability. 2022_web_flyer_milestone_x_ceu_kooperation.pdf 
  • Looking for a long-term Airbnb? When it comes to renting apartments, the international platform of Spotahome provides flexible Europe-wide services. Use the promo code CEU30 to get a discount off their service fee.   
  • Who says an old factory can't be a nice place to live? City Life Apartments offers a beautifully renovated, modern residence for students, with whole-hearted community engagement. PDF icon city_life_apartments_flyer.pdf
  • With a young-spirited team, CoLivi ensures flexibility and comfort for international students. They offer stylish apartments across the city: ᑕ❶ᑐ CoLiving in Vienna and Graz ▶️ furnished apartments for rent 
  • The perfect place for short-term stays with groups, Wombat's Hostel, only a glimpse away from the heart of Vienna, offers a modern and youthful environment for students: City Hostel Vienna Naschmarkt | Wombat's Hostels! (  
  • A taste of Brasil in one of Vienna's brand-new hotels: Rioca offers noble apartments and a jovial community with first-rate service and events for international amigoesPDF icon factsheet_rioca_vienna_posto1_en.pdf

          PDF icon factsheet_rioca_vienna_posto2_en.pdf

 Further recommendations:  

Choosing our partner providers (see above) is not mandatory for graduates and advanced undergraduates, however we encourage you to take advantage of CEU's partnership to strengthen our community, take an active part in the college experience, and have help at hand if needed. For additional needs regarding accommodation, or in case of any hardships or problems you can always turn to the Student Center staff via who are in regular contact with partners. Students choosing different housing options are also offered help in finding apartments and battling bureaucratic matters. 

Short-term bookings for parents and student groups: 

(Please note that CEU cannot guarantee the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of the above websites and is not responsible for their content.) 

In addition to our recommendations, there is always the option of renting a flat on your own. If you choose to do so, you should pay special attention to Austrian norms of housing incl. rental agreement and special obligations. Students who choose accommodation other than CEU partners and housing providers are also offered should they encounter any problems.  

For your flat search on the free market, check out the following websites: 

Please find the general do’s, don’ts and FAQs for Austrian rental contracts: 

a German residence agreement sample: 

and the registration slip (Meldezettel) together with an English sample below: 

PDF icon meldezettel.pdf

Private Offers in Vienna: 

For those students who are looking for a private rental agreement, we display an updated list of housing offers from all around Vienna: PDF icon waitingforaresident_1.pdf

This list is also available on our SharePoint.  

Please note that the price of rent in Austria usually does not include utilities (water, electricity, heating). These must be paid additionally, depending on your consumption.  

In case you would like to move to Vienna with your family, please be reminded of CEU’s family support including an introduction to the Austrian education system for children and financial aid  

Address registration process in Vienna: 

Address registration is important for all who settle down in Vienna. You have to register your address within three working days with a registration slip (Meldezettel). Upon your arrival, you will receive a signed address registration slip from your housing provider. On this slip, you have to fill in the details in the section called “Anmeldung” and submit the form to any municipal office (Meldeservicestelle) in person or via email.  

IMPORTANT: If you arrange accommodation individually, it is possible that you won’t be provided with a registration slip by your landlord. In this case, please find the form here. After receiving the municipal office’s confirmation of your registration, please update your location information in e:vision! 

If you wish to change your address or move from Vienna for a longer term you have to re-register (Ummeldung) or de-register (Abmeldung) your address within three working days. For both, you need the same address registration slip (Meldezettel) as for the registration of your initial address, only the sections headed as “Ummeldung” or “Abmeldung”. After filling in your details, submit the form to any municipal office (Meldeservicestelle), in person or via email, and please update your location information in e:vision! You can find more information about the registration process in Vienna here 

IMPORTANT Information for third-country nationals:  

  • If you rent a flat with one rental contract together with a group of friends, you need to prove to Municipal Department 35―Immigration and Citizenship (MA 35) that you can pay the whole amount of your monthly rent, not only your quota. This is to avoid problems should someone back out of the shared contract.  
  • You will need proof of accommodation from your landlord for the whole duration of your stay.  
  • Please be aware that the issuing of your certificate/proof of accommodation may take up to two weeks.  
  • Please ask your landlord to sign your registration slip (Meldezettel) which you can download online. This is a crucial document for your residence permit application. Please note that a subtenant is not entitled to sign your registration slip. Please find an English sample here: englishsamplemeldezettel.pdf 
  • Good News! Your rental contract serves as your proof of accommodation for MA 35. However, it must contain information about your monthly rent and the whole duration of your stay.  
  • If you find permanent accommodation with a family member or friend, they can also provide you with a certificate of accommodation.   sample_certificate_of_accommodation_english_german.pdf 



Students are advised to contact the CEU Residence Center for affordable and safe housing in Budapest.

CEU Residence Center

The CEU Residence Center is a modern residence complex in the 10th district of Budapest― a short distance from the buzz of the city center.

All rooms are equipped with a private bathroom. Bed linen is provided, but no towels and toiletries. Wireless Internet access is available throughout the residence.

There is a 24 hour reception service and boasts many other facilities such as:

  • a cafeteria and a bar 
  • a pub
  • a sports center with swimming pool, sauna and fitness room
  • basketball/football court, tennis court
  • parking

On every floor there is a TV lounge and small kitchen with a stove, coffee machine, microwave oven, grill oven, kettle and refrigerators (kitchen utensils are not provided). There is a laundry with washing machines and dryers in the basement. The building includes a conference center with meeting rooms (up to 350 participants seated), catering service, technical equipment, and accommodation on a space-availability basis.

The Residence Center is located in a safe area and the CEU site in central Budapest can easily be reached within 45 minutes by public transportation.

In case there is no availability in the CEU Residence Center, you may consider small studio apartments/private rooms.

Please note that CEU cannot guarantee the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of these websites and is not responsible for the content either.

Rented Accomodation

PDF icon Lease contract for apartment

PDF icon Lease contract for room

Address registration process in Budapest

According to Hungarian law all international students must fulfill all requirements for residency in Hungary: failure to do so will result in the termination of enrollment at CEU.

One important aspect of the residence application process is that all international CEU students are by law required to register their accommodation at the National Directorate-General for Aliens Policing (previously Immigration and Asylum Office).

Students from non-EEA countries must complete the "Accommodation Reporting Form for Third Country Nationals", whereas EEA students are required to fill out the "Datasheet for the Issuance of Registration Certificate".

In case of any address change, students should follow the instructions on this page.

Please note that it is highly recommended to contact the Student Center for further assistance before you start any visa procedure.