Information for EEA Citizens

Information for EEA Citizens

Click here to go directly to Budapest related information below


Before Arrival 

For information and instructions on what you need to do before coming to Austria, please consult the website of the Admissions Office  

After Arrival 

EU citizens, who are entitled, following Union law, to reside in Austria for more than three months, receive, upon request, a ‘registration certificate’, as documentation of their right of residence following Union law (a corresponding application must be submitted within 4 months of arrival in Austria). Please click here for more information on how to register. 

Once you have arrived in Vienna you have to register with the local authorities within the first three days upon the arrival. Also, if you switch flats during your stay, you have to de-register from your old flat and register again at your new one. 

To carry out the residence registration you have to visit one of the 19 Residence Registration Service Centres (Meldeservice) (German) or the Central Residence Registration Service (Meldeservice - Zentrale Meldeauskunft der MA 62)(German) in person. For further information please visit this page. 

If you have any further questions or need assistance during your application process, please contact 


Before Arrival

Citizens of EEA member states may travel to Hungary without a visa.

After Arrival

For the duration of your studies at CEU you will need to obtain a registration certificate (in Hungarian: “regisztrációs igazolás”) and an address card ("lakcímet igazoló hatósági igazolvany") from the National Directorate-General for Aliens Policing (former Immigration and Asylum Office) in Budapest after you arrive in Hungary. For obtaining these cards, please visit Client Service II. located at 1135 Budapest, Szegedi út 35-37. in the Twin Office Center Building. 


  • Please note that you must arrange this within 90 days of arrival in Hungary.
  • Students enrolled at CEU for maximum 90 days are not required to follow this registration process.

You will receive further instructions during the orientation sessions at CEU. In addition, the Student Center is ready to check the collected forms. Please find below a list of the documents you need in order to apply for the registration certificate:

Required documents for registration certificate for EEA citizens: Available at:
Application Form and Declaration Application form and Declaration of border crossing

Proof of health insurance in Hungary (original and photocopy).
All enrolled, full-time degree students are covered by the CEU Generali Health Insurance Plan for which they need to register upon arrival. Enrolled non-degree students can purchase this Plan from CEU.

For more information, please visit the health insurance plans section.

CEU Certificate of Enrollment

Student Records Office

Your latest bank statement (in English or Hungarian) indicating an account balance, sufficient to cover living expenses
For Dormitory Students: Certificate of Accommodation Dormitory (send request to:
For Off-campus Students: lease contract in Hungarian or English countersigned by two witnesses (one original and one copy) Blank contracts are available at 
1.000 HUF Application Fee, payable by bank card on the spot
Valid passport or national ID card  
Copy of personal data in passport or ID card  

If your application package is complete you can expect to obtain your registration certificate on the spot at the National Directorate-General for Aliens Policing. Following this you will also receive an address card by mail to your registered address in approximately 2-3 weeks’ time. In case you change your address, please follow the instructions for EEA citizens on this page

With further questions, please turn to

You can find more information on the legislation here.