Information for Non-EEA Citizens

Information for Non-EEA Citizens



Before Arrival 

For information and instructions on what you need to do before coming to Austria, please consult the website of the Admissions Office.

For questions concerning the residence permit process you may consult our FAQ collection. 

After Arrival 

For the entire duration of their studies (i.e. for any period exceeding 3 months), a residence permit is required for all non-EEA citizens. You can either apply for a Residence Permit Student (German) from your home country or at the Immigration Office (MA35) in Austria 

IMPORTANT: There is no guarantee that you will receive your Residence Permit within the time of your legal stayYou would need to leave Austria and wait outside the country until your permit is granted or otherwise your application will be rejected. We therefore strongly advisyou to apply for the Residence Permit from your home country or come with a Visa type D that is valid up to 180 days. 

Once you have arrived in Vienna you have to register your address with the local authorities within the first three days upon the arrival (Meldezettel). Also, if you switch flats during your stay, you have to de-register from your old flat and register again at your new one. For further information please visit this page.  

If you have any further questions or need assistance during your application process, please contact