Family benefits

Click here to go directly to Budapest related information below


Every person legally residing in Austria with child (which can also be an adopted child, a foster child, a stepchild or a grandchild) is entitled to the public family allowance (Familienbeihilfe, FBH). The children must live in the same household. 

EU/EEA citizens: Must have their registration certificate (Anmeldebescheinigung) and permanent residence (Meldezettel) in Austria and need to show that they do not receive family allowance from their country of origin (or the FBH will be reduced to cover the difference only). 

Non-EU citizens: Must be permanent and legal residents in Austria. A residence permit in combination with a residence permit for dependents and address registration (Meldezettel) does entitle to FBH. 

How to apply: The application must be filed   

  1. Either with form Beih100 in person at the local tax and revenue office (Finanzamt) or 
  2. with form Beih100 via mail (to Finanzamt Österreich, Postfach 260, 1000 Wien) or 
  3. online via Finanzonline. The FBH will be paid out each month by the local tax and revenue office to an Austrian or foreign bank account. 

Documents needed: 

  • Application form 
  • Address registration (Meldezettel) 
  • Residence Permit (or registration certificate in case of EU citizens) 
  • Certificate of Enrollment 

The Austrian authorities might request further documents (e.g. proof of income, birth certificate, marriage certificate, …). 

Please note that the application process might take up to 6 months (or even longer). Once it has been confirmed, the FBH will be paid out each month by the local tax and revenue office to an Austrian or foreign bank account. 

The monthly benefit depends on the number of children in the household and their ages. The current rates can be found here. 

Feel free to contact the Student Center at if you have any questions!  


Only EU/EEA citizens are entitled to get access to the Hungarian family benefits. They must be enrolled in the Hungarian State Health Care System and have a valid registration certificate and address card.

Childbirth & infant care related benefits including:

  • infant care allowance (Csecsemőgondozási díj/CSED)
  • paternity leave and cash benefits (Apasági szabadság)
  • birth grant (Anyasági támogatás)

More information is available here.

Childcare benefits include:

  • for parents of children under 2 years of age after Maternity Leave (Gyermekgondozási Díj/GYED)
  • for parents of children 2 - 3 years old (Gyermekgondozást segítő ellátásra/GYES)
  • for parents of 3 or more young children (Gyermeknevelési támogatás/GYET)
  • family allowance for childrearing & schooling (Családi pótlék)

More information available here