ÖGK (Austrian Public Health Insurance) Information 

Students who are not insured with compulsory health insurance within the EU can apply for health insurance for the duration of their studies if their place of residence is in Austria. 

For a successful application you need: 

  • the completed application form 
  • a Photo ID (copy) or e-card (copy) 
  • Meldebestätigung (Austrian address registration) 
  • a certificate of enrollment 
  • a confirmation of the duration of previous studies (in case you have already studied in an EU/EEA country or Switzerland) 
  • an insurance data extract from the state insurance in the home country (only EU citizens excl. Austrian citizens) 

CostsThe monthly contribution for the self-insurance for students is EUR 66.79 (2023). For detailed information please check the ÖGK website. 

Coverage: You can find information about the services and coverage of the Austrian Public Health Insurance here. The coverage starts on the day following the submission of the application. The self-insurance will be activated retroactively when missing documents or enquiries have been completed. If it is confirmed that you have current compulsory insurance within the EU/EEA/Switzerland, your application will be rejected. 

Self-insurance for students is not possible

  • if the ​​(work-related) income exceeds € 15,000.00 per calendar year,
  • if the course of study was changed before the current course of study within the meaning of § 17 of the Studienförderungsgesetz 1992,
  • if the average duration of studies has been exceeded by more than four semesters without important reasons (e.g. military service, civilian service, childbirth),
  • if a university course was already completed before the current course of study. However, this does not apply to self-insured persons who do not receive income above the low income threshold (EUR 500.91 in 2023) during their studies. Doctoral studies following a master's or diploma study program or Master's or Bachelor's study program etc. are not considered second-degree studies if the field of study remains the same.