Information for students from Ukraine

Information for students from Ukraine 

On this page you can find useful information for students with Ukrainian citizenship. If you have any questions, do not hesitate to contact us at!  



If you arrive by plane, the cheapest way to get to the city is the S-Bahn (S7) or train (RJ). The fastest way would be the CAT train, but it is more expensive. You can find information about transportation to and from the airport here. From the station Wien Mitte you can take the metro/tram/bus to your accommodation. If you want to come to the campus directly, get off at Geiselbergstraße and take the tram (11) to Schrankenberggasse 

If you arrive by train, you best get off at Hauptbahnhof (main station) as it is close to the campus and you have a huge variety of connections. From there you can take the metro/tram/bus to your accommodation or the tram (D) to the campus. 



Ukrainian refugees may take ÖBB-trains in Austria without a ticket. You will need to show your Ukrainian passport or ID. The same applies for public transport in the city of Vienna and in the so-called VOR region (region around Vienna everywhere where VOR tickets are valid). A Ukrainian passport is required. 



Ukrainian nationals and people who received international protection in Ukraine (and family members of these people), who entered the EU after the 24th of February, are eligible for a temporary protection permit currently valid until March 3, 2023 that allows them to work and grants them access to health insurance. For details, please check here.  


If you are just arriving in Vienna and need accommodation, please go to: 

Humanitäres Ankunftszentrum "Sport- und Fun-Halle" 

Open at all time. 


Or if you already have accommodation please go to: 

Registrierungs- und Beratungszentrum Austria Center 

Opening hours: Mo-Fr, 8 am to 6 pm  


Here you find a list for places to register outside of Austria: list of places to register ( 


Third-country nationals that did not have international protection in Ukraine will not be covered by this regulation. These people will have to ask for asylum if they want to stay in Austria. To receive asylum, they would have to prove that they cannot return to their country of origin.  



If you are looking for a place to stay or have a place you would like to provide have a look at this website here: Homes For Ukraine – Offer & Find Shelter. With accommodation-related questions do not hesitate to contact  



People who receive the temporary protection card for displaced people also receive some financial support. Adults will receive 215 euros/month and children receive 100 euros/month. Individuals staying at a private accommodation will receive 150EUR and families receive up to 300 euros/month as rent subsidy. A valid, fee-based rental agreement is required.   



The Ernst Mach-Ukraine Scholarship supports Ukrainian students to continue their studies in Austria. The scholarship is aimed both at Ukrainian students who are already studying regularly at an Austrian university and at students, scientists and researchers from Ukraine who would like to continue their studies or projects here. Austrian Database for Scholarships and Research Grants – 

On you can find support measures at the university, national, and international level for graduate students and researchers. 



Ukrainian citizens receive health care for free. You only need to show your Ukrainian passport and can visit all ÖGK doctors and hospitals. Further information can be found here. 



Please have a look at this page for psychological counseling by CEU: Psychological Aid - Home ( 

AMIKE also offers psychological counselling in Ukrainian language. 


For questions on your stay in Austria, the asylum procedure, or other legal issues, please contact one of the legal counseling organizations in Austria: 

Diakonie – Unabhängige Beratung Wien: The Diakonie refugee service started a legal helpline for refugees from Ukraine who want to stay in Austria. From Monday to Friday from 09:00 - 12:00 o'clock they advise on detention rights issues in Ukrainian / Russian language. The hotline is available at +43 1 343 0 383. 

For student-related questions, you could also contact the Austrian student union (ÖH). 



Multi-lingual hotline of the NGO Caritas for questions on entry, stay and accommodation: 05 1776 380 (9 am-2 pm) 

BBU hotline in German, Ukrainian and Russian for questions on emergency reception centers +43 1 2676 870 9460 



In solidarity with current and prospective students from Ukraine, CEU is offering opportunities for admissions, continuing studies and funding. You can find more information here. More information on what the CEU community is doing to support students, alumni, faculty and staff affected by the ongoing war in Ukraine can be found here. 



Interested students from Ukraine may register to attend onsite courses offered at CEU for credit. All courses are taught in English. Further information can be found here. 


  • Information for Ukrainian nationals by UNHCR Austria can be found here (English and German).
  • Here is a FAQ from the interior ministry (English and German) and here is another FAQ from the Austrian Federal Ministry of Education, Science and Research (English).
  • Updated information from Asylkoordination Österreich can be found here (German and Ukrainian).
  • For an info collection from OEAD for Ukrainian and Russian citizens please visit this page (English & German).
  • Information for displaced persons who would like to study at the University of Vienna can be found here (English, German and Ukrainian).
  • A padlet with measures for students and researchers from Ukraine can be found here.
  • More information for Students and Researchers from Ukraine can be found here (English and German).
  • The Austrian Student Union (ÖH) provides information for students from Ukraine on their website (English, German, Russian and Ukrainian).