The Department of Public Policy (DPP) is seeking to fill a full-time position of Assistant Professor in Organizational Theory and Public Administration. The newly appointed faculty member will help shape DPP’s research agenda, teaching programs and engagement with practice. We seek an academic committed to contributing excellent research, innovative teaching, extensive engagement with policy practice, and cooperation with CEU’s external partners.
Duties and responsibilities:
The candidate will be expected to contribute to teaching the core curriculum to Public Policy and Public Administration Master’s students, in particular courses in core topics in the areas of Organizational Theory and Practice, Public Administration, as well as policy-relevant elective courses in the candidate's area of expertise (12 CEU credits in total). The candidate will contribute to the further development of our interdisciplinary and policy-relevant curriculum. The candidate will be expected to contribute to the existing research at the Department in the areas relevant for Organizational Theory and Public Administration. Please see DPP faculty profiles here: https://dpp.ceu.edu/directory/resident-faculty
The ideal candidate will (have):
- Hold a PhD (or plan to defend their doctoral research by June 2022) in Public Administration/Policy, Organizational Theory, Sociology of Organizations, or a related Social Science discipline;
- Demonstrated capacity for research excellence and ability to collaborate with DPP faculty across disciplines;
- Have teaching experience in the areas mentioned above or is willing to develop relevant courses in line with these areas
- The ability to teach courses in qualitative research methods is an asset
- A research agenda that is relevant for policy making;
- Experience in research and teaching relevant for national and global public policy challenges, tackling systemic policy challenges, including those affecting the global South, people with vulnerabilities, etc., will be an asset;
- Exhibit a passion for teaching and an openness to employing innovative teaching methods;
- Have the ambition and talent to influence salient debates in public policy;
- Be committed to building a world-class institution.
We offer a competitive yearly salary of 62.500 EUR, as well as additional benefits (e.g. pension plan). The initial contract is for six years. The contract is renewable and can be turned into an indefinite contract depending on the outcome of the review.
How to apply
The application package should be submitted in a single PDF file that includes:
- An application letter (not exceeding 1,200 words) which indicates the name and rank of the position to which you are applying,
- An academic CV,
- Job-market paper;
- A statement of teaching philosophy; and
- The contact information of three references who will be contacted for short-listed candidates.
We encourage applicants to submit up to two additional academic writing samples (one can be co-authored) and up to two sample syllabi. The writing samples and syllabi may be attached as separate PDF files. The application package should highlight why the candidate is a good fit for the position. Informal inquiries may be addressed to Prof. Martin Kahanec at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please send your complete application package to: email@example.com - including job code in subject line: 2022/090.
CEU is strongly committed to the promotion of gender equality and equal opportunities within our institution. Previous training, work experience and/or engagement with matters of equality, diversity and inclusion at the organizational level will be an asset.
CEU recognises that personal and family circumstances shape the trajectory of one’s career and working patterns. As such, and in line with CEU’s promotion of Equal Opportunities, we encourage applicants to detail periods of leave, part-time work or other such situations in their applications so that the Search Committee is able to assess an applicant’s academic record fairly in the context of their circumstances. Any declaration of personal and family circumstances is voluntary and will be handled confidentially and only considered in so far as it impacts on the academic career of an applicant.
CEU is an equal opportunity employer and values geographical and gender diversity, thus encouraging applications from women and/or other underrepresented groups. Since CEU strives to increase the share of women in professorial positions, given equal qualifications, preference will be given to female applicants.
To contribute to CEU’s monitoring efforts to improve gender equality in the academic body, we kindly ask you to fill in this form with your gender identity. This is a completely anonymous and non-mandatory requirement and therefore not linked in any way to the assessment of your application. Thank you for sharing this statistical data with us.
Central European University (CEU) is a research-intensive university specializing in the social sciences, humanities, law, public policy and management. It is accredited in the United States, Austria and Hungary. CEU's mission is to promote academic excellence, state-of-the-art research, research-based teaching and learning and civic engagement, in order to contribute to the development of open societies. CEU offers bachelor's, master's and doctoral programs and enrolls more than 1,400 students from over 100 countries. The teaching staff consists of resident faculty from over 50 countries and prominent visiting scholars from around the world. The language of instruction is English.
For more information, please visit https://www.ceu.edu/.
CEU is an equal opportunity employer.
The privacy of your personal information is very important to us. We collect, use, and store your personal information in accordance with the requirements of the applicable data privacy rules, including specifically the General Data Protection Regulation. To learn more about how we manage your personal data during the recruitment process, please see our Privacy Notice at: https://www.ceu.edu/recruitment-privacy-notice (Hungary: Közép-európai Egyetem, Central European University) or https://www.ceu.edu/recruitment-privacy-notice-austria (Austria: Central European University, CEU Central European University Private University).