At Central European University (CEU) Press, we publish authors that bring a regional perspective to some of the major issues of the day.
We are looking for Freelance Acquisitions Editors to cultivate authors and editors and support list growth and quality in the subject areas below. If you are an experienced editor, interested in supporting new approaches and methodologies, and you know how to commission interdisciplinary books in English, please contact us.
- Climate and Environmental Change
- History, especially as pertains to Central and Eastern Europe and the former Soviet Union; Communism and the Cold War; Social and Economic History; Jewish History and the Holocaust
- Political Science, with a focus on regional governance, foreign policy, and comparative politics
- Slavic Studies (Slavic literature, history, and culture)
- Social Science, with a focus on Identity, Gender Studies, Migration and Ethnic Studies
- Sociology, in particular Labor Studies
- Undertake editorial commissioning activities to attract new authors and editors to publish with CEU Press in the subject areas listed
- Research developments in the field and strategize list direction and title growth
- Represent the Press at conferences and external meetings, where appropriate and approved by the Press. Attend internal meetings, where applicable
- Maintain the quality and consistency of manuscripts submitted for peer review
- Solicit comments and reviews and prepare periodic reports of projects out with reviewers. Communicate acceptance/rejection/revise-&-resubmit decisions to submitting authors
- Review and discuss new projects and strategic plans with editorial colleagues, particularly in overlapping areas
- Liaise with authors and oversee process up to the point of manuscript acceptance
- At least 3 years of experience of acquiring academic books
- Proven results as demonstrated by books published
- Market awareness with an ability to acquire well-performing titles
The position is open to international applicants that are looking for a part-time/freelance position to fit alongside their other role(s), with remuneration based on results.
To apply, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
About CEU Press
Established in 1993 to reflect the intellectual strengths and values of its parent institution, the Central European University, CEU Press is a leading publisher in the history of the region, communism and transitions to democracy. It is widely recognized as the foremost English language university press dedicated to research on Central and Eastern Europe and the former communist countries. It publishes approximately 30 new monographs and research-based edited collections a year (and growing) and has a backlist of over 450 titles. Stringent peer review, editorial and production standards are a feature of the press.