Application deadline: 30 November 2020 (open until filled)
Starting date: January 2021
Central European University’s Open Society Research Platform (OSRP) invites applications for a one-year doctoral research fellowship. OSRP is hosted by CEU’s Yehuda Elkana Center for Higher Education (YECHE) and is a new project associated with the Open Society University Network (OSUN), of which CEU is a co-founder and core member. OSRP aims to contribute to revitalizing the debate on the concept of open society; testing its theoretical, epistemological, and methodological utility; and inspiring rigorous, collaborative and critically nuanced scholarly contributions that consider the place of the values and principles of open society in scholarship, politics, media and public discourse and, in this way, are relevant for understanding and addressing contemporary challenges.
Duties and responsibilities:
The Postdoctoral Fellow will lead a small team that will work with other colleagues at CEU and in the OSUN network on conceptual and practical planning of the launch of the Open Society Research Platform, its initial research projects and a program of public engagement during the first year of its operation. The primary purpose of the Post-Doctoral Fellowship is to design and provide leadership in a systematic process of collecting, analyzing, and making available scholarly and other publications directly related to the concept of open society, establishing an inventory of authors and publishers and identifying and building exchange and collaborations with the research centers and other organizations that have resources and programs dedicated to the study, analysis and public engagement on the subject of open society and related ideas and concepts.
Specific tasks include:
- designing the OSRP’s research agenda and defining its academic and public profile in consultation with CEU and OSUN colleagues;
- designing and implementing the frameworks for competitive research support to be provided by the OSRP;
- establishing a framework of reference and taking a lead in the processes of identifying, analyzing and presenting relevant resources, in coordination with a Doctoral fellow and recipients of the OSRP research grants;
- designing and convening workshops, roundtables, colloquia, conferences and other relevant activities aimed at in-depth engagement in scholarly and public discussion;
- contributing to the development of presence and engagement tools, including an online platform and a range of public activities;
- establishing linkages to existing and new partners in the field;
- establishing an informal advisory committee representing academia, field of policy and civil society;
- formulating the terms of reference and supporting an external advisory evaluation of the project aimed at its further development and expansion;
- providing leadership and coaching to the Doctoral Fellow affiliated to OSRP and active engagement with the research grantees supported by the platform.
Qualifications and skills:
The successful candidate will have a PhD in social sciences, law or humanities, a record of excellent research, writing and teaching on open society and related subjects. The Fellow is expected to have fluency in English and an ability to engage effectively in an academic discussion in at least one more language. Excellent communication, planning and leadership skills, initiative, creativity and flexibility will be key to building successful partnerships and program portfolio. Experience in advocacy and public engagement is an asset.
We offer a competitive compensation package commensurate with experience, as well as a dynamic and international academic environment.
OSUN is a global university network, anchored by Central European University and Bard College, that integrates learning and the advancement of knowledge across geographic and demographic boundaries, promotes civic engagement to foster open societies, and expansion of access to higher education for underserved communities.
For more information, please visit https://opensocietyuniversitynetwork.org