Starting date: earliest on February 1, 2022
Full- or Part-Time: Part-time (30 hours per week)
Application deadline: Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, beginning on December 1, and continue until the position is filled.
The Center for Teaching and Learning (CTL) at Central European University (CEU) is hiring a Postdoctoral Fellow for the Open Society University Network (OSUN)-funded, Developing Teaching Professionals (DTP) project.
The project strengthens training, mentoring, and ongoing support for those teaching in higher education in OSUN institutions. It focuses on four groups: 1) early-career teachers (PhD students; postdoctoral researchers; and new faculty), 2), faculty in the Global South, 3), faculty teaching in diverse environments or seeking to promote inclusivity, and 4) centers for teaching & learning and other units supporting faculty teaching. DTP is a collaborative project, currently comprising about half-a-dozen partner colleges and universities on four continents in the OSUN network. The CEU CTL provides personnel and organizational coordination.
Under the supervision of the CTL Director, who is the project lead, and in collaboration with other DTP employees and collaborators, the postdoctoral fellow will engage in the organization, development, and delivery of the DTP project.
Key duties and responsibilities:
- Organization, administration, and coordination of the DTP project
- Assistance in setting the project’s strategic and operational plans
- Providing broad expertise and in-depth support on issues of teaching & learning, including teaching innovations, scholarship of teaching & learning, and inclusive education
- Engagement in research, publications, and scholarly activities of relevance to the project
- Developing and delivering workshops, workshop series, orientation programs, conferences, summer schools, consultations, and other forms of training and support for graduate students, faculty, teaching & learning professionals, and other teaching & learning units
- Teaching of inter-university courses, if required
- Mentoring, developing mentoring programs, and/or training faculty mentors
- Creation of web materials and resources about teaching and the project
- Baseline, concluding, and continuous evaluation of the program
- Public and scholarly dissemination about the project and its impact
- Contributions to the development of new initiatives or funding proposals to expand and continue the impact of the project if required
- Collaborating and coordinating with colleagues in the CEU and in partner institutions in the DTP project
- Professional growth and scholarly development
- Other duties as assigned.
- PhD, DPhil, EdD, or comparable degree is required.
- Documented teaching or research experience in educational departments, centers for excellence in teaching, or similar units is required.
- Completion of a certificate in teaching in higher education, membership in the Higher Education Academy, or similar higher education teaching qualification is desirable.
- Experience working in international settings or with international partners is required.
- Experience in managing or organizing complex projects is desirable.
- The candidate should have interest and demonstrated expertise in, at least, one area of teaching and learning in higher education (for example: inclusive education, curriculum design, online or blended learning, experiential learning, scholarship of teaching & learning, assessment of student learning, or reflective practice).
- A record of research and publications, or potential therefore, is required. It is desirable that at least some publications are in the field of education.
- Experiences supervising graduate students and/or mentoring teachers are desirable.
- A passion for teaching and an openness to employing innovative teaching approaches to active student learning are required.
- Excellent organizational skills; strong English oral and written communication skills; and familiarity with a range of learning technologies are required.
- Collegiality and respect for diversity are required.
The appointment will be based in Vienna. Occasional travel may be required.
The annual gross salary starts at 35,000 EUR. The actual final salary might be higher depending on the seniority and level of expertise of the selected candidate.
Employment is subject to the availability of external funding. The DTP project is anticipated to run until the summer of 2024. However, funding is approved on a yearly basis. Current funding is for the period until August 2022.
About the Center for Teaching and Learning (CTL)
Founded in 2011, the Center for Teaching and Learning comprises teaching and learning scholars who work with doctoral students, postdoctoral fellows, and faculty across all departments and schools. The CTL contributes to CEU's longstanding commitment to excellence in teaching and a community engaged in inquiry, debate, and discovery. For more information about the Center for Teaching and Learning please visit: https://ctl.ceu.edu/
About the Open Society University Network (OSUN)
The Open Society University Network (OSUN) is a new global network, anchored by Bard College and the Central European University. OSUN seeks to integrate learning and the advancement of knowledge in the social sciences, the humanities, the sciences and the arts, at both undergraduate and graduate levels. It transcends geographic and demographic boundaries through collaborative programs by member institutions. OSUN promotes civic engagement to foster open societies and to expand access to higher education for underserved communities.