The Resident Life Assistant assists the Director of Residential and Campus Life and supports the Dean of Students Unit. The primary responsibilities of the Resident Life Assistant fall into the following areas: administration of housing related matters; be available to resident students and assist with their needs, and act as a liaison between the housing providers, students, and Dean of Students Unit; assure quality housing experience for students.
Administration of Housing Related Matters
- Manages the online housing applications, assists with housing placements, updates website with housing information as needed (edits publications and online postings related to housing)
- Monitors the Viennastudenthousing email address and finds and researches relevant answers
- Notifies students of their housing address, contact information, roommate names if relevant
- Maintains databases of all student housing, placements, and related information (updates as necessary with phone lists, emergency contact protocols, etc.)
- Communicates and meets regularly with Director of Residential and Campus Life and other members of the Dean of Students Unit.
- Assists in the process of room allocation and housing exemptions
- Assists with residential matters in cases of students with disabilities and students with special needs
- Attends staff meetings
Availability to Student Residents and Liaison between Various Parties
- Provides written role introduction to each Resident Advisor (RA)
- Mediates between students, students and housing providers, students and neighbours, etc. in case of housing conflicts
- Coordinates relocation if necessary
- Provides written reports of incidents, and documentation of meetings and incidents to Director of Residential and Campus Life in timely fashion
- Notifies Director of Residential and Campus Life as soon as possible in case of emergency situation
- Maintains open lines of communication with housing providers, liaises between housing providers, Dean of Students Unit, and students.
Assurance of Quality Housing Experience
- Prepare housing introduction meetings for Students and RA’s and Housing providers
- Promotes interaction among resident students through social programs (meals, sports, outings, etc.)
- Performs safety and quality assurance checks, conducts housing inspections as needed (always pre-arranged meetings with students before entering housing)
- Reports and documents all necessary maintenance needs and requests, shares this information with appropriate contacts and Director of Residential and Campus Life
- Makes suggestions for facility and/or policy improvements
- Prepares, distributes, collects, and reviews housing evaluations, prepares presentation of results for Director of Residential and Campus Life
- Provides students with up-to-date information on housing as needed, using social media platforms, email, sometimes flyers or written signage throughout residence
Additional Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist Dean of Students Unit with administrative responsibilities
- Can be assigned ad hoc tasks by the Director of Residential and Campus Life
- Consistently displays a positive attitude and cheerful spirit in all interactions with student residents, housing providers, etc.
- Becomes a role model to students with regards to policies, conduct, acceptance of personal differences, diversity, and academic pursuits
- Promotes a positive and respectful atmosphere
- Fluent (written and spoken) English and German
- Other additional language is a plus
- Experience working within an international community a plus
- Knowledge and experience with administrative duties, maintaining databases, Microsoft Excel and Word, social media
- Self-Driven and able to work independently
- Positive attitude
- Ability to handle stress
We offer a competitive salary that is commensurate with experience as well as a dynamic and international academic environment.