Multiple failures on the part of the international community, the EU and Hungary led to the refugee crisis that unfolded in Hungary since early summer, according to CEU President and Rector John Shattuck, speaking at a Sept. 30 panel discussion with CEU faculty about the refugee crisis.
CEU’s Opening Ceremony, held September 21, celebrated the start of the 2015-2016 academic year and also launched the University’s 25th Anniversary. The incoming class, more than 600 students from a record 107 countries, received a special welcome from President and Rector John Shattuck.
CEU President and Rector John Shattuck writes about using diplomacy to work with Russia to prevent another Cold War in this opinion piece in the Boston Globe.
Balkan Wars Were a 'Failure of Imagination' on the Part of the International Community, Shattuck Says
This November will mark 20 years since the Dayton Peace Agreement ended the war in Bosnia. International intervention happened too late, according to CEU President and Rector John Shattuck and his former colleague John Kornblum, who participated in the Dayton negotiations and discussed the process in Budapest on July 6 at the opening of the 2015 session of the Jozsef Antall Summer School.
Hungarian daily Magyar Nemzet reports: The third Antall Jozsef Summer School commemorated the 20th anniversary of the Dayton Peace Agreement with a roundtable discussion that was moderated by CEU President and Rector John Shattuck.
For more, see http://www.ceu.edu/article/2015-07-09/balkan-wars-were-failure-imagination-part-international-community-shattuck-says
CEU President and Rector John Shattuck and Associate Professor Zoltan Illes are quoted in this Christian Science Monitor article on how countries of the former Soviet Union have fared since the fall of communism, and how some are leaning back toward Mother Russia.
The CEU community, including students, faculty, staff, alumni, and friends of the University, gathered May 9 in the construction area of Nador utca 15 in Budapest to celebrate laying the foundations for the renewed downtown campus. At this historic moment in the University’s history, the plans for the campus development in 1993 as well as the plans for the current redevelopment were ceremonially placed in the foundation of the building.
Former Hungarian Minister of Foreign Affairs Janos Martonyi and CEU President and Rector John Shattuck were guest speakers at the inaugural Euro-Atlantic Cafe series hosted by the Centre for Euro-Atlantic Integration and Democracy (CEID) April 30.
Hungarian weekly HVG interviewed CEU President and Rector John Shattuck. The following is a translation of the article, which appeared in the April 16 print edition.
The key politicians of neither the US nor the EU will attend the May 9 Victory Day celebrations in Moscow. What has gone wrong in the relations between Russia and the West?
Filter by year
- 2023 13 Apply 2023 filter
- 2022 19 Apply 2022 filter
- 2021 10 Apply 2021 filter
- 2020 7 Apply 2020 filter
- 2019 7 Apply 2019 filter
- 2018 7 Apply 2018 filter
- 2017 20 Apply 2017 filter
- 2016 27 Apply 2016 filter
- 2015 12 Apply 2015 filter
- 2014 4 Apply 2014 filter
- 2013 12 Apply 2013 filter
- 2012 5 Apply 2012 filter
- 2011 5 Apply 2011 filter
- 2010 3 Apply 2010 filter
- 2009 3 Apply 2009 filter
Filter by Unit
- The Office of the President and Rector 88 Apply The Office of the President and Rector filter
- Department of International Relations 3 Apply Department of International Relations filter
- Department of Legal Studies 3 Apply Department of Legal Studies filter
- The Office of the Pro-Rectors 3 Apply The Office of the Pro-Rectors filter
- CEU Vienna Campus 2 Apply CEU Vienna Campus filter
- Department of Public Policy 2 Apply Department of Public Policy filter
- The Office for Hungarian Affairs 2 Apply The Office for Hungarian Affairs filter
- The Shattuck Center for Human Rights (Department of Public Policy) 2 Apply The Shattuck Center for Human Rights (Department of Public Policy) filter
- Building Maintenance Group 1 Apply Building Maintenance Group filter
- Campus Redevelopment Office 1 Apply Campus Redevelopment Office filter
- Communications, Marketing & Outreach Office 1 Apply Communications, Marketing & Outreach Office filter
- Department of Environmental Sciences and Policy 1 Apply Department of Environmental Sciences and Policy filter
- Department of Sociology and Social Anthropology 1 Apply Department of Sociology and Social Anthropology filter
- Development Office 1 Apply Development Office filter
- Student Recruitment 1 Apply Student Recruitment filter
- Student Services Office 1 Apply Student Services Office filter
- Yehuda Elkana Center for Teaching, Learning, and Higher Education Research 1 Apply Yehuda Elkana Center for Teaching, Learning, and Higher Education Research filter