President and Rector of CEU, Michael Ignatieff has officially opened the newly constructed Medical Center in the university’s Monument Building. The Center, which serves the CEU community, has more than doubled in size, and includes treatment rooms, a waiting area and reception.
Addressing an invited audience at the University of Maastricht (UM), CEU Rector and President Michael Ignatieff spoke on ‘Open Societies and Ordinary Virtues.' The values of open societies – democracy, rule of law, justice, tolerance, respect for knowledge – are endangered, increasingly under threat in Europe and across the globe.
In 1991 CEU was founded with a mission. That mission—educating free minds for a free society—is more urgent than ever. Today more than 15,000 alumni carry the values we teach—respect for knowledge and critical inquiry—into responsible positions in government, business, civil society, academic life and politics around the world.
The European Association for International Education presented the 2018 Constance Meldrum Award for Vision and Leadership to CEU President and Rector Michael Ignatieff on September 11 in Geneva at the kickoff of its annual conference. The award recognizes CEU's defense of academic freedom in Hungary after legislation targeting the university was introduced in 2017.
CEU formally began its new Academic Year today, welcoming students, faculty, staff and distinguished guests with an Opening Ceremony held in the spirit of free inquiry, diversity, and open society that are the hallmarks of CEU.
CEU leadership welcomed close to 700 new students from more than 80 countries to the community, which now includes 1,700 students and hundreds of staff and faculty, as well as 16,000 alumni worldwide.
Budapest, April 12, 2018 – Central European University (CEU) strongly condemns the listing of academics, employees of non-governmental organizations and journalists in Figyelo magazine. Any academic associated with CEU is a distinguished scholar who has earned an appointment at the university through peer-reviewed publications and a strong teaching reputation.
Social progress, prosperity, security, and the concept of open society all emerged from the horrific ordeal of war, according to Margaret MacMillan, professor at the University of Toronto and the former warden of St. Antony's College, speaking at CEU March 7 as part of the Rethinking Open Society series hosted by CEU President and Rector Michael Ignatieff.
We cannot understand inequality without thinking about recognition, according to Michele Lamont, Professor of Sociology and of African and African American Studies and the Robert I. Goldman Professor of European Studies at Harvard University. In Western societies, worthiness is defined by socio-economic success, creating a recognition gap between social strata, said Lamont, who spoke as part of the Rethinking Open Society series at CEU on December 4.
Filter by year
- 2023 9 Apply 2023 filter
- 2022 19 Apply 2022 filter
- 2021 10 Apply 2021 filter
- 2020 7 Apply 2020 filter
- 2019 7 Apply 2019 filter
- 2018 7 Apply 2018 filter
- 2017 20 Apply 2017 filter
- 2016 27 Apply 2016 filter
- 2015 12 Apply 2015 filter
- 2014 4 Apply 2014 filter
- 2013 12 Apply 2013 filter
- 2012 5 Apply 2012 filter
- 2011 5 Apply 2011 filter
- 2010 3 Apply 2010 filter
- 2009 3 Apply 2009 filter
Filter by Unit
- The Office of the President and Rector 88 Apply The Office of the President and Rector filter
- Department of International Relations 3 Apply Department of International Relations filter
- Department of Legal Studies 3 Apply Department of Legal Studies filter
- The Office of the Pro-Rectors 3 Apply The Office of the Pro-Rectors filter
- CEU Vienna Campus 2 Apply CEU Vienna Campus filter
- Department of Public Policy 2 Apply Department of Public Policy filter
- Shattuck Center on Conflict, Negotiation and Recovery (Department of Public Policy) 2 Apply Shattuck Center on Conflict, Negotiation and Recovery (Department of Public Policy) filter
- The Office for Hungarian Affairs 2 Apply The Office for Hungarian Affairs filter
- Building Maintenance Group 1 Apply Building Maintenance Group filter
- Campus Redevelopment Office 1 Apply Campus Redevelopment Office filter
- Communications, Marketing & Outreach Office 1 Apply Communications, Marketing & Outreach Office filter
- Department of Environmental Sciences and Policy 1 Apply Department of Environmental Sciences and Policy filter
- Department of Sociology and Social Anthropology 1 Apply Department of Sociology and Social Anthropology filter
- Development Office 1 Apply Development Office filter
- Student Recruitment 1 Apply Student Recruitment filter
- Student Services Office 1 Apply Student Services Office filter
- Yehuda Elkana Center for Teaching, Learning, and Higher Education Research 1 Apply Yehuda Elkana Center for Teaching, Learning, and Higher Education Research filter