Constitutionalism is an unfinished and imperfect project that can be manipulated to contribute to the closing of minds and societies, according to CEU University Professor Andras Sajo, who founded the Department of Legal Studies at CEU and served as a judge at the European Court of Human Rights for a decade. Sajo spoke as part of the Rethinking Open Society lecture series at CEU hosted by President and Rector Michael Ignatieff on October 17, delivering a lecture entitled “Constitutionalism in Closing Societies.”
October 13, 2017 – CEU welcomes any initiative that reduces uncertainty, but the Minister of Justice’s proposed extension of the deadline prolongs the uncertainty while walking away from a solution that lies at hand.
An agreement between the State of New York and the Government of Hungary guaranteeing CEU’s existence is ready for signature. Resolution of this matter is now up to the government. The government can simply sign the agreement it has already negotiated.
Budapest, October 17, 2017 – Central European University (CEU) states that it has taken all steps to fulfill the conditions of the amended Hungarian higher education law known as ‘lex CEU,’ and presents documents supporting its full compliance with the condition regarding educational activities in our institution’s country of origin.
What we should respect are not views, but the people who hold the views, said CEU Philosophy Professor Tim Crane, while discussing his book “The Meaning of Belief” as part of the Rethinking Open Society series on Oct. 3. He also stated that New Atheist critique of religion misses what is central to these world views.
Budapest, February 2, 2017 - Today CEU releases an open letter to the editor-in-chief of Figyelo in response to the article titled “Can the Soros School Stay?”
We write to you today in response to the article published in your magazine, entitled “Can the Soros School Stay?” Parts of the article give a misleading perspective.
As we confront the new international situation, in which open society values and liberal democratic freedoms are under threat, we must review the basic assumptions of the concept of open society, and engage honestly with the criticism of it, according to CEU President and Rector Michael Ignatieff, speaking at the launch of the Re-thinking Open Society project at CEU on January 17.
Hungarian news site hvg.hu published an interview with CEU President and Rector Michael Ignatieff on January 2, 2107.
CEU President and Rector Michael Ignatieff was appointed to the Order of Canada Dec. 30, the country's highest honor. Ignatieff was recognized for his “contributions to the advancement of knowledge as a human-rights scholar and reporter.”
CEU President and Rector Michael Ignatieff was interviewed for Hungarian commercial television channel ATV’s Extraordinary Interview („Rendkívüli interjú”) program. In the 24-minute discussion program President and Rector Ignatieff was asked about CEU, the results of the recent US elections, and the challenges liberal democracies face around the world.
Filter by year
- 2023 9 Apply 2023 filter
- 2022 19 Apply 2022 filter
- 2021 10 Apply 2021 filter
- 2020 7 Apply 2020 filter
- 2019 7 Apply 2019 filter
- 2018 7 Apply 2018 filter
- 2017 20 Apply 2017 filter
- 2016 27 Apply 2016 filter
- 2015 12 Apply 2015 filter
- 2014 4 Apply 2014 filter
- 2013 12 Apply 2013 filter
- 2012 5 Apply 2012 filter
- 2011 5 Apply 2011 filter
- 2010 3 Apply 2010 filter
- 2009 3 Apply 2009 filter
Filter by Unit
- The Office of the President and Rector 88 Apply The Office of the President and Rector filter
- Department of International Relations 3 Apply Department of International Relations filter
- Department of Legal Studies 3 Apply Department of Legal Studies filter
- The Office of the Pro-Rectors 3 Apply The Office of the Pro-Rectors filter
- CEU Vienna Campus 2 Apply CEU Vienna Campus filter
- Department of Public Policy 2 Apply Department of Public Policy filter
- Shattuck Center on Conflict, Negotiation and Recovery (Department of Public Policy) 2 Apply Shattuck Center on Conflict, Negotiation and Recovery (Department of Public Policy) filter
- The Office for Hungarian Affairs 2 Apply The Office for Hungarian Affairs filter
- Building Maintenance Group 1 Apply Building Maintenance Group filter
- Campus Redevelopment Office 1 Apply Campus Redevelopment Office filter
- Communications, Marketing & Outreach Office 1 Apply Communications, Marketing & Outreach Office filter
- Department of Environmental Sciences and Policy 1 Apply Department of Environmental Sciences and Policy filter
- Department of Sociology and Social Anthropology 1 Apply Department of Sociology and Social Anthropology filter
- Development Office 1 Apply Development Office filter
- Student Recruitment 1 Apply Student Recruitment filter
- Student Services Office 1 Apply Student Services Office filter
- Yehuda Elkana Center for Teaching, Learning, and Higher Education Research 1 Apply Yehuda Elkana Center for Teaching, Learning, and Higher Education Research filter