CEU President and Rector Michael Ignatieff was interviewed for Hungarian commercial television channel ATV’s Extraordinary Interview („Rendkívüli interjú”) program. In the 24-minute discussion program President and Rector Ignatieff was asked about CEU, the results of the recent US elections, and the challenges liberal democracies face around the world.
CEU President and Rector Michael Ignatieff spoke at the 2016 Annual Colloquium on Fundamental Rights in Brussels Nov. 17, 2016. Click here or below for his address, entitled "Media Pluralism in a democratic society."
CEU’s President and Rector Michael Ignatieff received the International Recognition Award at the Political Studies Association (PSA)’s Annual Awards Ceremony in London on November 29.
Europe’s long history of migration, which has been altered or forgotten during the current refugee crisis, must be brought back into the debate, according to participants in the conference “Migration and Refugees Today: Giving History Its Place in Debates and Research,” held Nov. 14 at CEU in Budapest by the Institut français des relations internationales (IFRI), Eotvos Lorand University (ELTE), the University of Amsterdam, and CEU.
"Liberals were too confident that history was on their side" in the U.S. elections, CEU President and Rector Michael Ignatieff told Euractiv.com in an interview Nov. 17.
CEU is launching a President's Seminar series that will examine the ideals of open society in the face of many challenges. CEU was founded in 1991 as democratic change swept across the region, with the mission to promote the ideals of open society, democracy and the rule of law. The following is the text of an announcement of the initiative, sent by President and Rector Michael Ignatieff to the CEU community Nov. 14.
Hungarian daily Magyar Nemzet published an interview with President and Rector Michael Ignatieff on November 5, 2016. The Hungarian article can be found here, and the English translation is below.
“George Soros Can Defend Himself”
In its new building at Nador utca 15 on October 21, CEU dedicated the Quantum Board Room, named for the Quantum Fund, founded by George Soros, the success of which made the University possible. The Quantum Board Room was supported by the Foglia family, including Antonio Foglia, a London-based economist and hedge fund manager who is also a member of the CEU Board of Trustees, and his father, Alberto Foglia, who served as chairman of the Quantum Fund from 1987-2003.
The CEU community and special guests gathered in the University's new auditorium on October 21 to inaugurate the University's fifth President and Rector Michael Ignatieff. Chairman of the Board of Trustees Leon Botstein conducted the investiture during a ceremony complemented by Hungarian music and poetry. The ceremony also celebrated the two new state-of-the-art campus buildings. Ignatieff is a Canadian professor, award-winning writer, and former politician educated at the University of Toronto and Harvard University.
http://hvg.hu/itthon/20161021_soros_gyorgy_budapest_ceu_kozep_europai_egyetem#rss - Hungarian news portal hvg.hu reports: Michael Ignatieff was Inaugurated as the fifth President and Rector of CEU on Oct. 21. CEU community members and special guests gathered to mark the occasion at the University's new auditorium.
Filter by year
- 2023 10 Apply 2023 filter
- 2022 19 Apply 2022 filter
- 2021 10 Apply 2021 filter
- 2020 7 Apply 2020 filter
- 2019 7 Apply 2019 filter
- 2018 7 Apply 2018 filter
- 2017 20 Apply 2017 filter
- 2016 27 Apply 2016 filter
- 2015 12 Apply 2015 filter
- 2014 4 Apply 2014 filter
- 2013 12 Apply 2013 filter
- 2012 5 Apply 2012 filter
- 2011 5 Apply 2011 filter
- 2010 3 Apply 2010 filter
- 2009 3 Apply 2009 filter
Filter by Unit
- The Office of the President and Rector 88 Apply The Office of the President and Rector filter
- Department of International Relations 3 Apply Department of International Relations filter
- Department of Legal Studies 3 Apply Department of Legal Studies filter
- The Office of the Pro-Rectors 3 Apply The Office of the Pro-Rectors filter
- CEU Vienna Campus 2 Apply CEU Vienna Campus filter
- Department of Public Policy 2 Apply Department of Public Policy filter
- Shattuck Center on Conflict, Negotiation and Recovery (Department of Public Policy) 2 Apply Shattuck Center on Conflict, Negotiation and Recovery (Department of Public Policy) filter
- The Office for Hungarian Affairs 2 Apply The Office for Hungarian Affairs filter
- Building Maintenance Group 1 Apply Building Maintenance Group filter
- Campus Redevelopment Office 1 Apply Campus Redevelopment Office filter
- Communications, Marketing & Outreach Office 1 Apply Communications, Marketing & Outreach Office filter
- Department of Environmental Sciences and Policy 1 Apply Department of Environmental Sciences and Policy filter
- Department of Sociology and Social Anthropology 1 Apply Department of Sociology and Social Anthropology filter
- Development Office 1 Apply Development Office filter
- Student Recruitment 1 Apply Student Recruitment filter
- Student Services Office 1 Apply Student Services Office filter
- Yehuda Elkana Center for Teaching, Learning, and Higher Education Research 1 Apply Yehuda Elkana Center for Teaching, Learning, and Higher Education Research filter