Citizens of countries outside the European Economic Area (EEA)


Students who are citizens of countries outside the European Economic Area (EEA) will receive a "Confirmation of Acceptance" letter from the CEU Admissions Office. They need to apply for a long-term visa for study purposes (in Hungarian: “tartózkodási engedély átvételére jogositó vízum”). Please note that this type of visa is a special national single entry visa that enables its holder to apply for a residence permit for study purposes after enrolling in a university in Hungary. This visa, contrary to the Schengen (tourist) visa, can only be obtained from the Hungarian consulates listed here.  

If you have any questions about the visa application process please consult the website of the Admissions Office or contact them directly at


Students entering Hungary on a long stay (D-visa) need to visit the National Directorate-General for Aliens Policing (former Immigration and Asylum Office) within 30 days of arrival to obtain their residence permit.

The Dean of Students Office at CEU will assist incoming students in obtaining their residence permits in Hungary. For this process, students will need to complete a Power of Attorney, authorizing CEU to collect their residence permit from the National Directorate-General for Aliens Policing (previously Immigration and Asylum Office). Further details on the authorization process will be communicated during the first week at CEU.

Please consult the table below to know what documents you need to submit to the Immigration and Asylum Office. If you have any questions or need assistance, please contact us at

Required documents for residence permit for students entering on a long-term (D-type) student visa: Available at:
Completed Application Form (Adatlap a tartózkodási engedély kiadásához), including your signature and one passport quality photo Application Form
Certificate of CEU Enrollment (after completing the matriculation process)

Student Records Office

“Accommodation Reporting Form” signed by Dormitory official or by legal owner(s) of the apartment Blank forms are available at the Student Center
For Dormitory Students: Certificate of Accommodation Dormitory (send request to the Residence Manager to
For Off-campus Students: rental contract in Hungarian or English, countersigned by two witnesses (one original and one photocopy) Blank contracts are available at the Student Center
Passport (valid for at least 18 more months at the time of application)  
Photocopy of D-type visa and complete passport, blank pages excluded  

In case you change your address, please follow the instructions for non-EEA citizens on this page. If you have any questions, please write to