Citizens of EEA member states


Citizens of EEA member states may travel to Hungary without visa.


For the duration of your studies at CEU you will need to obtain a registration card (in Hungarian: “regisztracios igazolas”) and an address card ("lakcimet igazolo hatosagi igazolvany") from the National Directorate-General for Aliens Policing (previously Immigration and Asylum Office) in Budapest after you arrive to Hungary. For obtaining these cards, visit Client Service II.: 1135 Budapest, Szegedi ut 35-37. (Twin Office Center Building). Please find below a list of the documents you need in order to apply for the registration card.


  • Please note that you must arrange this within 30 days after arrival in Hungary.
  • Students enrolled at CEU for maximum 90 (ninety) days are not required to follow this registration process.
  • According to Hungarian law all international students must fulfill all requirements for residency in Hungary: failure to do so will result in the termination of enrollment. 

You will receive further instructions during the orientation sessions at CEU. In addition, the CEU Dean of Students Office is ready to check the collected forms. 

Required documents for registration card for EEA citizens: Available at:
Application Form and Declaration Application form and Declaration of border crossing

Proof of health insurance in Hungary (original and photocopy)
All enrolled students who receive financial aid from CEU are covered by the CEU Generali Providencia Health Plan for which they need to register upon arrival. Enrolled students who are not covered, can purchase this Plan from CEU.

For more information, please visit health insurance page.

Dean of Students Office
Certificate of Enrollment at CEU

Student Records Office

Your latest bank statement (in English or Hungarian) indicating an account balance, sufficient to cover living expenses Your bank (either in Hungary or abroad)
For Dormitory Students: Certificate of Accommodation Dormitory (Send request to:
For Off-campus Students: rental contract in Hungarian or English (one original and one copy) Blank contracts are available at the Dean of Students Office 
1.000 HUF Application Fee, by bank card
Valid passport or national ID card  
Copy of personal data in passport or ID card  

If your application package is complete you can expect to receive your registration card on the spot at the Immigration and Asylum Office. Following this you will also receive an address card by mail. In case you change your address, please follow the instructions for EEA citizens on this page. 

If you have any questions please write to