This section provides information about residence requirements in Hungary for continuing CEU students.
Are you considered a continuing student?
- you are enrolled in a two-year Master's program;
- you are a doctoral student;
- you have completed your Master's and you have been admitted to a PhD program in the same year.
Students from countries outside the European Economic Area (EEA) continuing their studies at CEU have two options:
A. Extension of your current residence permit
- As a continuing student you have the possibility to renew your residence permit but you must submit a complete application no later than 30 days prior to its expiration date.
B. Application for a new visa
- Some students may prefer not to extend their residence permits. In such cases, they must leave Hungary before their residence permits expire. To re-enter for the start of the next academic year, they need to follow the procedure explained on this page.
Students of EEA member states who continue their studies at CEU and already have a registration certificate, do not need to do any further registration unless they change their accommodation. In this case the student must obtain a new address card. Please follow the instructions for EEA citizens on this page.