Study Visa & Student Residence Permit Information

Due to the current COVID-19 shutdown in Austria, there may be delays with appointment booking at embassies and consulates. Please keep checking your local Austrian representation office for updates on working hours and changes to procedures. Embassies and Consulates may open momentarily for 2-3 days without updating their website, so please continue emailing and calling your local consulate or embassy regularly for updates and information.

Update: Students who have a 90-day visa-free entry into Austria may enter the country and apply for their residence permit in person ONLY if they are coming from within the Schengen Area. IMPORTANT: If you plan on traveling to Austria and applying in person, please make sure to have ALL required documents and supplemental documents for a complete application to avoid delays to your application.
Students who are citizens of countries with a visa requirement for entry will need to wait for their local embassies and consulates to open before being able to apply for a residence permit. Third-country nationals can enter Austria if they are currently within the Schengen area and are allowed to travel within the Schengen Area. Please be aware that entry into the country will only be allowed with a presentation of a medical certificate confirming a negative molecular-biological SARS-CoV-2 test no older than three days, followed by a 10-day self-quarantine, with proof of accommodation in Austria. Keep an eye on the opening times or changes to procedures on the website of your local Austrian representation office. Please continue trying to contact your local Austrian representation by calling and emailing your inquiries.

Visa and residence permit applications can only be processed by Austrian immigration authorities. You can find your nearest Austrian representation office by clicking here. The office for immigration in Vienna is the MA 35. CEU PU is not allowed to apply for a Visa or Residence permit on behalf of students, nor are we legally entitled to make inquiries with relevant authorities on the student's behalf. Please follow the steps on this page for application instructions and recommendations. Please check the government website in case of updates and changes unbeknown to us. 

Please note: citizens of non-EU/EEA countries are encouraged but not required to pay the tuition and enrollment fee prior to applying for a residence permit in Austria. Please check with the relevant Austrian Consulate before your interview, as this information is subject to change.

First time applicants 

Step 1: Find out what you need before entering Austria.   

  • Non-EU and Non-EEA nationals (third country nationals)find out if you need a visa to enter Austria. Please check this OeAD list to see if you have the right to a 90-day visa free stay. If you need a visa to enter Austria, please submit your student residence permit application in your home country as soon as you collect all required documents. You can find your nearest Austrian representation office by clicking here.* 
  • 90 Day visa free entry: we strongly recommend applying for your residence permit in your home country as soon as you have collected all required documents and before traveling to Austria, due to possible delays with the residence permit application process. If you exceed your visa-free stay before your residence permit has been approved, you will need to leave the country until you receive your student residence permit. 
  • EU or EEA citizensyou do not need a visa, nor a residence permit to reside in Austria, however, you must apply for a Confirmation of Registration (Anmeldebescheinigung) within four months of your arrival to Austria. You can find information on how to register on the government website. Please find and fill out the form "Anmeldebescheinigung und Bescheinigung des Daueraufenthalts" under "EEA and Swiss nationals" here
  • Applicants with a refugee status from other EU member countries: you will need to apply for an Austrian student residence permit. You can still apply with your refugee status if you do not have all required documentation listed below. If you do not have one or more of the required documents listed, you will need to make a substantiated claim to explain why you are missing the documents. Please make sure to get a police report from your country of residence and as many of the listed required documents as is possible for you to obtain

Step 2: Prepare all required documents before you make an appointment.

Please make sure to prepare ALL required documents before making an appointment at your local Austrian embassy, or at the MA 35 office in Vienna. It is crucial that you wait until you have ALL required documents before making the appointment, as any missing documents will cause significant delays to your application. As soon as you have collected all required documents please make copies of everything and make an appointment at your local Austrian representation office. Please apply in person. If you are applying at the MA 35, please check their office hours on the website. 

Step 3: Prepare documents

Please make sure that all documents that are not issued in German are filed together with a translation done by a certified court translator. Make copies of all documents, including your passport, and include all copies with all original documents in your application. Prepare all required documents for the application, listed below: 

  1. Birth certificate, or another equivalent document. You will need an Apostille or diplomatic certification/Legalization.
    If applicable, please also bring the following documents including an Apostille or Legalization certificate on each document, if applicable: 
    - Marriage certificate.
    - Civil partnership certificate.
    - Divorce certificate.
    - Certificate of dissolution of a civil partnership.
    - Adoption certificate.
    - Documents proving family relationships.

  2. Certificate of good conduct/Criminal record report. You will need an Apostille/Legalization document accompanying this document. You can request a criminal record report at your local police station. The criminal record report should not be older than three months at the time of application.

  3. Biometric passport photo. Make sure that the photo is not older than 6 months. Please check the required specifications of the photo on the government website. 

  4. Valid passport or equivalent legal travel document. Please make sure that your passport is signed and valid for at least another year at the time of your residence application. 

  5. Legal proof of adequate accommodation (lease agreement, proof of ownership, rental agreement). CEU will help provide proof of accommodation once you register.  Please see our website for further housing information and fees. 

  6. Document that shows your monthly rent or running costs of the accommodation. This information is usually included on your rental contract or agreement. 

  7. Health insurance that is valid in Austria for at least 90 days and covers all risks. An original letter from your insurance company confirming coverage in Austria is recommended. Once in Vienna, CEU will provide health insurance for all students enrolled in full-time degree programs. 

  8. Proof of enough means of subsistence in Austria (e. g. scholarship, bank statement of the last six months, proof of regular payments made to the bank account). Persons under 24 years of age must prove a monthly income of at least EUR 533.85. Persons over 24 years of age must prove a monthly income of at least EUR 966.65. Please make sure that the bank account is in your name. You will need to prove these finances in advance for the validity of the residence permit, which is one year.                                        
  9. Adequate proof of the source of funds. Examples: certificate of employment with salary information, payslips, financial aid, or scholarship confirmation. Please include a written statement that explains where the funds are coming from (e. g. if you have saved money while working please state so, if you receive money from your parents or legal guardians, your legal guardians or parents will need to provide a written declaration stating that the finances are coming from them and that they are solely at your disposal).

  10. Statement of Financial Liability/declaration of guarantee (Haftungserklärung) if stay in Austria is sponsored by someone residing in Austria. Please see further information on the government website if this applies to you. 

  11. Completed application form for a student residence permit. (You can find the form
    called “Aufenthaltsbewilligung - Antrag" on the government website under "Form") 

  12. Your confirmation of acceptance for visa purposes from CEU (Zulassungsbescheid). This document will be sent electronically by the CEU Admissions Office.

Step 4: Make an appointment

Make an appointment at your local Austrian embassy, or at the MA 35 office in Vienna. Please apply in person. If you are applying at the MA 35 in Vienna, please check their office hours on the website

  * Please note that the standard processing time for visa and residence permit applications is 90 days. Be aware that application delays by the authorities are common and can delay the process 4 – 6 months. Applicants who are third country nationals and who are not permitted to enter Austria without a visa should note that some application procedures can take longer than 6 months due to delays and additional verifications by the Austrian authorities. We strongly advise to start collecting all required documents for your visa or residence permit as soon as you receive your confirmation of acceptance. 

Extension of Residence Permit (Renewals) 

If you already possess an Austrian student residence permit and you need to renew it, please follow the instructions below and always check the government website for updates or changes unbeknown to us. 

Prepare the following documents for your Residence Permit Renewal: 

  1. Proof of academic success ("Studienerfolgsnachweis") from the previous academic year. Please note that the minimum requirement per year is 16 ECTS points. Example: Certificate of enrollment and transcripts showing grades and credit hours.  

  2. Extract from the files of an officially recognized credit reference agency. Example: Kreditschutzverband – KSV 1870 Information GmBH  

Only if applicable: 

  • Birth certificate
  • Marriage certificate
  • Civil partnership certificate
  • Divorce certificate
  • Certificate of dissolution of a civil partnership
  • Police clearance certificate
  • Declaration of Liability (Haftungserklärung) 

Additional documents may be required by the authorities during the processing of the residence permit application or renewal. 

Please note that all documents must be certified by diplomatic certification or Apostille.  

Documents issued in a language other than German must be translated and filed together with the translation done by a certified court translator.  

Please find all required forms on the government website. Scroll down to “Form”. 

Family members who may be able obtain a residence permit along with the student are spouses and underaged children of the student 

The basic residence permit fee is EUR 120.