Information for Applicants and Admitted Undergraduate Students

Last updated on August 3, 2020

1. Launch of academic year 2020-2021

Q: When will teaching begin in fall 2020?
A: From September 28, CEU will begin on-site instruction for all our students in Vienna. For those who are unable to attend in person, whether due to temporary border closures, air travel or visa restrictions, we will be offering your classes online until you are able to join us on-site. We will provide all our students, regardless of their mode of study, with a high-quality learning experience.

Q: When am I expected to arrive on campus?
A: We advise you to arrive in Vienna by September 7 so that you have time to settle in before teaching starts. We will keep you informed about any relevant governmental regulations related to travel, epidemiological and sanitary requirements prior to your arrival. The first couple of weeks will allow you to get to know your colleagues and professors and attend orientation sessions. If required by the authorities, some students may have to quarantine for the first two weeks – and if so, we'll make it possible for you to attend all orientation sessions online.

2. Enrollment process

Q: How will I receive my official admissions decision?
A: Your official admissions decision and acceptance offer will be published on the Applicant Portal as planned. Students who need to apply for a visa or a residence permit will receive a separate ‘confirmation of acceptance for visa purposes’ from the Admissions Office.

Q: The final exams have been postponed in my country and I might not receive a high school graduation certificate in time. What can I do?
A: You will need to present your high school diploma as soon as it becomes available in order to be enrolled as a student at CEU.

Q: I am concerned that my high school diploma might not be issued by my planned enrollment date at CEU. Can I submit it later?
A: We are aware that in some countries, an official high school diploma might only be available with a delay. We understand that the situation is very challenging, and we are open to discuss specific issues with admitted applicants as the situation unfolds. You may enroll based on your graduation certificate and may submit the certified copy of your high school diploma later, as soon as it becomes available.

Q: Can I extend my registration fee payment deadline?
A: In light of the Covid-19 pandemic, we are allowing extension requests. Please write to to request an extension should you require one.

Q: If I am unable to start my studies, will my registration fee and/or tuition fee be refunded?
A: If you are unable to start your studies as a direct result of the pandemic (visa delay, consulate closure, travel bans, etc.), your registration fee, enrollment fee and, if applicable, tuition fee will be fully refunded.

Q: When will I receive my insurance information?
A: You will need to register for your insurance on your own. Please follow the guidelines in the Visa and Residence Permit Troubleshooter. Scroll to the bottom for the health insurance registration guidelines.

Q: Are classes going to start at CEU in fall 2020? What contingency plans does CEU have in place?
A: Yes, we will be delivering classes in the fall term with a blended synchronous teaching method. This means that classes will be held on campus for those who are able to be present, while simultaneously being streamed online for those who are not able to join us in Vienna.  

3. Accommodation

Q: Should I start booking my student accommodation or shall I wait?
A: First, check this website to see if you can enter Austria. Only book a room if you are allowed to travel to Austria. You may need to self-quarantine for 14 days in the dorm, depending on which country you are arriving from, and you may also need to present a negative Covid-19 test. 

If you are currently not permitted to travel to Austria, do not book your room just yet, due to cancellation fees. We will keep all rooms reserved for bachelor’s students. We will keep all our incoming students updated by email.

Q: Who should I contact with questions or concerns regarding accommodation?
A: Please email

4. Visa-related issues

For students who are required to hold a visa to enter Austria

Q: Can I make an appointment at the embassy before I have collected all required documents?
A: No, please make sure to have all required documents in place before you make an appointment. If any document is missing at your official appointment, it could result in significant delays to your visa and residence application.

Q: I have concerns about how student visa applications will be affected. I tried calling my local consulate to make an appointment for my residence permit/visa but the embassy is closed. What should I do?
A: We understand that visa application timelines may be affected, and we are following updates and recommendations from the Austrian authorities. In addition, we suggest that you check with the Austrian embassy or consulate in your home country. Even in case their website states that they are currently closed, make sure to call or email them as many embassies and consulates offer help with document questions and other concerns via phone or email.

For students who have a 90-day visa-free entry into Austria or who hold a Schengen Visa

Normally, you may enter the country and apply for the residence permit in person. However, due to the pandemic, some consulates currently require students to apply for a D type visa. Contact the local Austrian consulate or embassy for updates.
If the authorities confirm that you can apply for your residence permit in person, make sure to have ALL required documents and supplemental documents for a complete application in order to avoid delays.

Q: I have a Schengen Visa. Can I travel to Vienna and apply for an Austrian visa there?
A: You do not need an Austrian visa if you already have a Schengen Visa. You may travel to Austria with your Schengen Visa and apply for a residence permit there. A Schengen Visa allows a 90-day stay in the Schengen area.

Q: I have a residence permit from an EU country. Do I still need to apply for an Austrian visa?
A: You may travel to Austria with your residence permit from another EU country and apply for the Austrian residence permit there. You will need a residence permit in Austria if you plan on staying longer than 90 days.

Q: I have been accepted to CEU. However, I am worried that I will not make it to Austria in time due to visa/residence permit delays.
A: Please notify your program at or if you think your arrival will be delayed. We are committed to ensuring that all our incoming students can enroll for academic year 2020-2021. CEU is going to offer classes on campus to students who are able to join us in person. For students who are unable to travel to Austria, CEU will offer a blended synchronous teaching with online courses during the first term.
Check the academic calendar for more information regarding teaching schedules. If you have further questions, email your program at or

5. Staying in touch

Q: I was planning to visit the CEU campus. Is this still possible?
A: Unfortunately, no. As of June 15, Vienna-Quellenstrasse 51 remains shut; Budapest-Nador complex has a phased reopening. We can offer you online alternatives to face-to-face meetings and physical tours, such as webinars and one-on-one sessions.

Q: Can I make an appointment to meet in person on campus to discuss my program of interest?
A: Our campuses are currently closed, but you can instead schedule a virtual meeting with one of our staff members here. If you have trouble using that link, please send an email to and we will get you sorted.

Q: Who can I contact with further questions?
A: Contact with further questions.