This Diploma Supplement model was developed by the European Commission, Council of Europe and UNESCO/CEPES. The purpose of the supplement is to provide sufficient independent data to improve the international ‘transparency’ and fair academic and professional recognition of qualifications (diplomas, degrees, certificates etc.). It is designed to provide a description of the nature, level, context, content and status of the studies that were pursued and successfully completed by the individual named on the original qualification to which this supplement is appended.
The Diploma Supplement (DS) is issued from academic year 2008/2009 at Közép-európai Egyetem in accordance with the Higher Education Act no. 2011. CCIV. 52. § (2).
- It is automatically issued to every student upon successful completion of programs accredited in Hungary as Masters programs of Közép-európai Egyetem along with their original degree certificate;
- It is free of charge;
- It is a bilingual document; information is stated in English and Hungarian.
It has eight sections of information identifying the holder of the qualification; the qualification, its level and function; the contents and results gained; certification of the supplement; details of the national higher education system plus any additional information. It provides detailed information on the degree which is not stated in the degree certificate.
Such details are:
- Details on acquired skills and competencies;
- Information on level of the degree and exam results;
- Admission requirements and possibilities for further studies;
- Information on the Hungarian Higher Education system;
For students, the Diploma Supplement offers:
- A diploma that is more readable and easily comparable abroad;
- A precise description of their academic career and the competencies acquired during the study period;
- An objective description of their achievements and competencies;
- Easier access to opportunities of work or further studies abroad; and
- It fosters their employability.
For higher education institutions, the benefits are:
- It facilitates academic and professional recognition, thus increasing the transparency of qualifications;
- It protects national/institutional autonomy while offering a common frame which is accepted all over Europe;
- It promotes informed judgements about qualifications that can be understood in another educational context;
- It raises the visibility of the institution abroad;
- It promotes the employability of their graduates at national and international level;
- It helps to save time since it provides the answers to a lot of recurrent questions put to administrative services in institutions about the content and portability of diplomas.