1. How and when do I register?

See the SRO Manual 2018/19. Read it carefully. It addresses most of your questions.

2. Can I obtain or make copies of the hard copies of my non-CEU academic records submitted to CEU?

NO. CEU does not return academic records of previous studies, nor does it provide copies thereof. Your non-CEU records are stored in your student file at SRO or at the Archives, they constitute property of CEU, they cannot be returned to students or alumni, nor is it possible to make copies of them for a third party. If you are applying to a university that requires such records, you need to contact your original school, not CEU. CEU issues CEU transcripts ONLY.

3. Do I need an appointment to meet with someone from the Student Records Office?

No, please come by during office hours, 12:45 p.m. - 4:00 p.m., every working day.

4. Where is the Student Records Office located?

On the 3rd Floor, Nador u. 11, room 304.

5. How can I order an official transcript while at CEU?

Through the Student Records Office. Requests should be made three days in advance. Transcript request forms can be found at the Student Records Office. Completed forms must be returned to the Student Records Office. The cost of a CEU transcript is 500 HUF, payable at the CEU Cashdesk in the basement of Nador 9 Building.

6. How can I order an official transcripts once away from CEU?

You can place an order online and pay with a credit card.

7. Can I obtain an unofficial CEU transcript?

Yes. You can order unofficial transcripts online or by writing an email to registry@ceu.edu.

8. What is the difference between an official and an unofficial transcript?

An unofficial transcript is a PDF copy of your courses and grades while an official transcript is a printed, signed and stamped copy of your courses and grades.

9. Can I access the UIS from abroad or from home?

Yes. Limited access to UIS (to register, check grades and for the online matriculation, re-enrollment, graduation forms) is available from abroad or from any other non-CEU computer via the following link: https://studentinfo.ceu.edu.

10. How can I prove that I am a student at CEU?

You need to get a Certificate of Enrollment from the Student Records Office, free of charge. This certificate is issued both in English and Hungarian. To order certificates of enrollment please place an order at the following link: https://www.ceu.edu/sro/order-certificate-enrollment . Your requests are promptly handled and your certificates can be collected on the next working day (in September in 2 days).

11. Can I get my back previous documents that I submitted upon admission once I leave CEU?

No, because CEU is a graduate institution. We need proof that our students have earned a previous degree.

12. Can I obtain a copy or certified copy of my previous documents?

No, CEU does not have a license to certify other institution's documents. You need to contact the institutions that issued them originally.

13. How can I prove that I graduated from CEU?

With an official copy of your transcript or diploma.

14. What happens if I do not register during the registration period?

Registration deadlines are strict. Anyone who fails to register must pay a Late Registration Fee of 5,000 HUF.

15. Can I change the registration mode (grade from audit) after the deadline?

Only if the teachers approves the change and writes directly to SRO authorizing changes in the student's registration. Late Registration Fee may be required to complete the change.