EHIC (European Health Insurance Card) Information only for EEA Citizens

According to EU regulations, all EEA citizens are required to have membership in any state health insurance system. Students bringing their European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) are covered by their national health system in their home country, therefore they are not required to enroll in the Hungarian State Health Plan. A copy of the EHIC card must be submitted to the Student Center (Nador 11, Room 304) or to In Austria, you are provided with a private health insurance plan since CEU students are not entitled to the Austrian public health insurance in AY 19/20.

Before coming to Hungary or to Austria, you are strongly recommended to obtain a European Health Insurance Card. In case you bring an EHIC, you are still entitled to the CEU Health Insurance Plan(s), see detailed information here.

  • Students in one-year programs and students in their 1st year of PhD or two-year programs are covered by the CEU Health Insurance Plan(s). 
  • 2nd year MA and PhD students who have already been residing in Hungary for a year (therefore having registration card and address card) must be enrolled in the Hungarian State Health Insurance System (TAJ) unless they have an EHIC.

How to use the European Health Insurance Card in Hungary?

How to use the European Health Insurance Card in Austria? (Note that the reimbursement process is not up to date on this page.)