This section provides information about residence requirements in Hungary for continuing CEU students.
Are you considered a continuing student?
- you are enrolled in a two-year Master's program;
- you are a doctoral student;
- you have completed your Master's and you have been admitted to a PhD program in the same year.
Students from countries outside the European Economic Area (EEA) continuing their studies at CEU have two options:
A. Extension of your current residence permit
- As a continuing student you have the possibility to renew your residence permit but you must submit a complete application no later than 30 days prior to its expiration date.
B. Application for a new visa
- Some students may prefer not to extend their residence permits. In such cases, they must leave Hungary before their residence permits expire. To re-enter for the start of the next academic year, they need to follow this procedure: http://www.ceu.edu/studentlife/services/onlineorientation/continuingvisa.
Students of EEA member states who continue their studies at CEU and already have a registration certificate, do not need to do any further registration unless they change their accommodation. In this case the student must obtain a new address card. Please follow the instructions for EEA citizens on this page.