Continuing Students

This section provides information about residence requirements in Hungary for continuing CEU students.

Are you considered a continuing student?

Yes, if:

  • you are enrolled in a two-year Master's program;
  • you are a doctoral student;
  • you have completed your Master's and you have been admitted to a PhD program in the same year.


Students from countries outside the European Economic Area (EEA) continuing their studies at CEU have two options:

A. Extension of your current residence permit

  • As a continuing student you have the possibility to renew your residence permit but you must submit a complete application no later than 30 days prior to its expiration date.

B. Application for a new visa


Students of EEA member states who continue their studies at CEU and already have a registration certificate, do not need to do any further registration unless they change their accommodation. In this case the student must obtain a new address card. Please follow the instructions for EEA citizens on this page.